On June 2, OrthoCarolina teamed up with Sustain Charlotte and #thesavageway to launch the second WalkCLT event in the FreeMoreWest area. The event, attended by over 350 people, raised awareness of the role that walking plays as a mode of transportation, as well as the many social, environmental, and economic benefits walking generates for ourselves and our community.
Walkers, which included adults, kids and even dogs from over 50 different zip codes, met at Recover Brands where they were greeted by local vendors. Throughout the night, participants made their way around to popular destinations throughout the area by using pedestrian wayfinding signs. These signs told residents how many minutes it would take them to get local shops and restaurants, a lot of which offered special deals to participants.
Walkers then made their way down to Stewart Creek Greenway and ended the night at Blue Blaze Brewing.
“I loved learning about a different part of Charlotte, and the various businesses and amenities in the area. It was so nice to see neighborhood citizens enjoy a beautiful spring day together,” said one participant.
The impact of WalkCLT was significant. Participants logged over 1,000 miles which equaled to 1,190 pounds of C02 prevented! In addition, all proceeds went to Sustain Charlotte.
View highlights from WalkCLT (Video)
Leave a Comment
In Response To
- Doctor’s Playbook: How an Orthopedic Fellow Went on to Lead Medical Care for the New Orleans Saints
- A Top Dog’s Return: How a Charlotte Hounds Lacrosse Player Came Back from a Nearly Career-Ending Knee Injury
- OrthoCarolina Wellness Center Now Open
- Twin City Talks in Winston-Salem
- Tackling an Unwelcome Ankle Injury: How One Player Returned to the Field