OrthoCarolina’s nationally-recognized Shoulder & Elbow Center provides an unparalleled level of care for patients suffering from diseases and injuries to the shoulder and elbow. Here you will find a center where patients are treated by highly-experienced physicians, physical therapists and nursing staff. In addition, our center features a team comprised of seven board-certified Charlotte orthopedic surgeons who have:
- Received surgical and fellowship training from some of the most prestigious orthopedic centers in the world
- Authored more than 100 peer-reviewed scientific articles and more than 25 book chapters related to shoulder and elbow surgery
- Performed more than 1,200 arthroscopic rotator cuff repairs and 600 shoulder replacements each year
- Spoken at national and international meetings on shoulder and elbow surgery
- Served as the official team physicians for the Carolina Panthers, Charlotte Knights, UNC Charlotte, Davidson College, Joe-Gibbs Racing and most Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools
- CURRENT RESEARCH: Nonopioid Pain Management Is Effective in TSA Patients
Not only will you receive treatment from some of the top orthopedic surgeons in the world, but we specialize in:
- Minimally-invasive surgery: Our team of physicians is on the cutting edge of arthroscopic techniques to treat shoulder and elbow conditions. Their advanced training and surgical experience provides them with the ability to perform many complex procedures in a minimally invasive fashion. For example, rotator cuff repair surgery is routinely performed in a minimally invasive fashion at the Shoulder and Elbow Center. In 2010, over 1,100 arthroscopic (minimally invasive) rotator cuff repairs were performed at the Shoulder and Elbow Center in Charlotte, NC. These surgical techniques allow our patients to experience less pain, recover faster, and have a better long-term outcome. Other innovative techniques such as elbow scope procedures are routinely performed and can be used to treat elbow disorders such as arthritis, tennis elbow, and cartilage injuries.
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation: Our Physical Therapy team is comprised of a well trained professional staff that has extensive knowledge in the treatment of the shoulder and elbow. After a thorough evaluation, we will work closely with you to customize a treatment plan designed to meet your needs. Our facility is conveniently located within the Shoulder and Elbow center which allows us to be in constant communication with your physician. You will enjoy a therapy experience focused on providing you with the highest level of clinical expertise and personalized care. Whether you have sustained a sports or work related injury or have undergone surgery, our staff utilizes the most progressive treatment options and techniques. Our goal is to help you get back to the activities that you love.
- Research and education: OrthoCarolina is committed to research and education. The Shoulder & Elbow Center has been at the forefront of this mission since its inception. The physicians actively participate in the education of medical students, orthopaedic residents, and fellows. The Shoulder & Elbow Center has produced countless scientific articles, book chapters, and ongoing research studies. Weekly conferences are held with the OrthoCarolina Research Institute to maintain a high standard of clinical research. Ultimately, the goal of our research and continuing education is to optimize the care of our patients.
- Shoulder replacement
- Sports injuries
At OrthoCarolina, we understand the demand for sub-speciality orthopedic care which is why we make it our goal to deliver top care for patients with elbow and shoulder pain. Whether you are a young athlete with a sports-related injury or an elderly patient with painful shoulder and elbow arthritis, you can rely on our Charlotte physicians for a job well done.
James E. Fleischli, MD
Adolescent and Adult Sports Medicine , Cartilage Restoration , Shoulder & Elbow
Dana P. Piasecki, MD
Cartilage Restoration , Shoulder & Elbow , Sports Medicine