Dr. Hayes is a wonderful physician! Very thorough examine before diagnosis and treatment. I highly recommend him to anyone.
- Duke University - Bachelor of Science
- Georgetown University School of Medicine -- Doctor of Medicine
- University of North Carolina Hospitals -- Internship, General Surgery
- University of North Carolina Hospitals -- Residency, Orthopedics
- Mt. Sinai Medical Center -- Fellowship, Shoulder
Born and raised in the Midwest, Dr. Hayes joined OrthoCarolina in 2001 following a distinguished career as a surgeon in the United States Air Force. He graduated from Duke University and Georgetown University School of Medicine, then trained in orthopedics at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He is fellowship trained in Shoulder Surgery by Dr. Evan Flatow at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in New York.
Dr. Hayes was an orthopedic surgeon at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda Maryland, where he cared for members of Congress and the White House. He trained future Navy surgeons as assistant residency director during his tenure at Bethesda Medical.
Dr. Hayes currently specializes in shoulder surgery, offering arthroscopic and shoulder replacement reconstruction. He is well-known for and proficient in total shoulder replacement and reverse total shoulder replacement. He works with Tornier on instrument development and has lectured at training seminars for shoulder replacement. He helps cover sports teams, teaches at Gardner Webb, precepts Physician Assistant students, and offers a broad range of a general orthopedic, sports, traumatic, and adult reconstructive surgical repairs.
- Specializes in Shoulder Reconstruction, Sports, and General Orthopaedics
- Co-Head Team Physician of Gardner-Webb Bulldogs
- Medical Director for the Gardner-Webb University Athletic Training Program
- 2014 Nicaragua Mission Trip
- 2012 Nicaragua Mission Trip
- LIFT member for shoulder surgery
- Member of the Cleveland County Medical Society
- Member of the North Carolina Medical Society
- Member of the North Carolina Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- 2022 North Carolina's Top Doctors, Charlotte Region, SouthPark Magazine
- Named by US News & World Report as a Top Doctor
- 2004-2007 America’s Top Physicians, Consumer’s Research Council of America
- 2001 Commander’s Coin of Excellence, NNMC, Bethesda, MD
- 1999 United States Air Force Meritorious Service Medal
- 1994 Patton Award for Excellence in Teaching; Division of Orthopedics, University of North Carolina Hospitals at Chapel Hill
- 1993-1994 Resident of the Year; Wake Medical Center, Raleigh, NC
- 1985 Commissioned as an Air Force Officer 1985 Magna Cum Laude; Duke University
- Klepps S, Bishop J, LinJ, Cahlon O, Strauss A, Hayes P, Flatow E: Prospective Evaluation of the Effect of Rotator Cuff Integrity on the Outcome of Open Rotator Cuff Repairs. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2004; 32, #7 1716-1722.
- Cleeman E, Brunelli M, Gothelf T, Hayes P, Flatow E: Releases of Subscapularis Contracture: An Anatomic Study. J Shoulder and Elbow. 2003;12,#3: 231-36
- Hayes P, Flatow E: Attrition Sign in Impingement Syndrome. Arthroscopy. 2002;18,#9: pE44
- Hayes P, Hazrati Y, Flatow E: Complications and Failures in Instability Repairs. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery OKU: Shoulder and Elbow 2. 2002;chapter 12, pp.129-39.
- Miller S, Hazrati Y, Cornwall R, Hayes P, Gothelf T, Gladstone J, Flatow EL: Failed Surgical Management of Partial Thickness Rotator Cuff Tears. Orthopaedics. 2002;25: pp-12555-7.
- Hayes P, Flatow EL: Total Shoulder Arthroplasty in the Young Patient. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery Instructional Course Lecture Series: #50. 2001; Vol. 50: pp. 73-88.
- Hayes P, Flatow EL: Steps for Reliable Glenoid Exposure and Preparation. Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2000; l (4): pp. 209-219.
- Henderson R, Hayes P: Bone Mineralization in Children and Adolescents with a Milk Allergy. Bone and Mineral Research. 1994; 27: pp 1-12.
- Kemp J, Hayes P, Henderson R: The Prevalence of Adolescent Tibia Vara. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics, 1993.
- Miller S, Hazrati Y, Cornwall R, Hayes P, Gothelf T, Gladstone J, Flatow E: Failed Surgical Management of Partial Thickness Rotator Cuff Tears. American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, Seventeenth Open Meeting, San Francisco, CA, March 2001.
- Cleeman E, Gothelf T, Brunelli M, Hayes P, Flatow E: Soft Tissue Releases During Total Shoulder Arthroplasty: An Anatomic and Clinical Study. Annual Fellows Day, West Point, NY, June 2000.
- Phipps M, Hayes P: Refractory Olecranon Bursitis: An Improved Surgical Technique. Society of Military Orthopedic Surgeons, Williamsburg, VA, 1999.
- Hayes P, Henderson R: Bone Density in Children with a Milk Allergy. Orthopedic Research Society, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1994, and American Academy of Pediatrics, Washington, DC, 1993.
- Hayes P, Henderson R: The Influence of Calcium Intake on Bone Density in “Milk Allergic” Patients. Pediatric Orthopedic Society at White Sulfur Springs, VA,1993.