Brian M. Curtin, MD 704.323.2564
Hear What Patients Have to Say
I had a complete hip replacement in October and knew it was going to be a positive experience, but I was still a bit anxious about it. If you're contemplating the same surgery, you probably have had nothing but positive feedback about the end results. But my experience with Dr. Curtin and the entire OrthoCarolina team was a pleasant experience from the moment I was greeted at the front entrance to my follow-up visits. Everyone was courteous and completely professional, but not so "stiff" in their demeanor that I was made to feel like just another procedure. My opinion is that Dr. Curtin , although he is young, is a highly talented surgeon (but what do I know?...I was completely under and don't remember a thing about the operation!). All kidding aside, I wholeheartedly recommend OrthoCarolina - specifically Dr.Curtin.- Arthur B.
- Hip & Knee
- Hip & Knee
- Duke University -- Bachelor of Science
- Georgetown University - Masters of Science
- Georgetown University, School of Medicine -- Doctor of Medicine
- University of Louisville, Dept of Orthopedic Surgery -- Residency
- OrthoCarolina-- Adult Reconstruction of the Hip and Knee Fellowship
- Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedidc Surgery
- Member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member of the American Association of Hip & Knee Surgeons
- Member of International Congress of Joint Reconstruction
- Member of North Carolina Medical Society
- Previous Teaching Faculty at the Medical College of Virginia
- University of Louisville Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Gerhard Kuntscher Award (Chief Resident teaching award), 2009-2010
- University of Louisville Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Research Award, 2010
- Cipriano C and Curtin B. The Hip: Preservation, Replacement, and Revision. Chapter 44: Preoperative Clinical Evaluation. Editors Parvizi J, Goyal N, and Cashman J. (In press)
- Curtin B, Yakkanti M, Malkani A. Post-Operative pain and contracture following TKA comparing Parapatellar and Subvastus Approaches. J Arthroplasty. 2014 Jan;29(1): 33-6.
- Arun Kannan, MBBS; Laura Luhaye, MD, Brian M. Curtin, MD, William A. Jiranek, MD. Anesthesia Management in Obese Patients undergoing Total Joint Replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Web site: Orthopaedic Knowledge Online Journal 2013 11(6): http://orthoportal.aaos.org/oko/article.aspx?article=OKO_ADU063.
- Vikrant Azad, MD; Brian Curtin, MD; William A. Jiranek, MD. Obesity and Venous Thromboembolic Risk in Total Joint Replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Web site: Orthopaedic Knowledge Online Journal 2013 11(6): http://orthoportal.aaos.org/oko/article.aspx?article=OKO_ADU062.
- Curtin B, Malkani A, Lau E, Kurtz S, Ong K. Revision after total knee arthroplasty and unicompartmental knee arthroplasty in Medicare population. J Arthroplasty. 2012 Sep;27(8):1480-6.
- Curtin B and Fehring TK. Bisphosphonate Fractures as a Cause of Painful Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Case Report. Orthopedics. 2011 Dec 6;34(12):e939-44.
- Curtin B, Abbott D, Nyland J, and Caborn D. Bilateral bucket handle medial plica in an adolescent. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. Oct 2009.
- Fisher B, Nyland J, Brand E, Curtin B. Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Reconstruction for Recurrent Patellar Dislocation: A Systematic Review Including Rehabilitation and Return-to-Sports. Arthroscopy. 2010 Oct;26(10):1384-94.
- Nyland J, Fisher B, Curtin B. (In Press). Conservative Treatment of Patellofemoral Joint Instability. In Mahmut Nedim Doral, MD (Ed), Sports Injuries. Springer-Verlag.
2 Abstracts in Gastroenterology 2000, Vol. 118:
- *1704 G PROTEIN-COUPLED RECEPTOR KINASE (GRK) SPECIFICITY OF ENDOGENOUS TYPE I VASOACTIVE INTESTINAL POLYPEPTIDE (VIP) RECEPTOR EXPRESSED ON THE SURFACE OF HEK 293 CELLS. Michael A. Shetzline, Julia K. Walker, Brian M. Curtin, Richard T. Premont, Marc G. Caron, Duke University Med Ctr, Durham, NC.
- *1705 THE ROLE OF PROTEIN KINASE A (PKA) DEPENDENT PHOSPHORYLATION OF THE SECRETIN RECEPTOR IN RECEPTOR INTERNALIZATION. Michael A. Shetzline, Julia K. Walker, Brian M. Curtin, Richard T. Premont, Marc G. Caron, Duke University Med Ctr, Durham, NC.
- 2013 AAHKS Poster Presentation. “Flexion Instability after TKA: Analysis of diagnostic features, radiologically evident surgical corrections and clinical outcome”. A Kannan, B Curtin, and W Jiranek. November 8-10, 2013. Dallas, TX.
- 2013 ACR/AHRP Annual Meeting Poster Presentation. “The Impact Of Arthritis Type On Post-TJR Functional Gain: Outcomes in RA Vs. OA Patients “. L Harrold, P Franklin, D Ayers, and B Curtin, MD. October 25-30, 2013. San Diego, CA.
- 2013 AAOS Poster Presentation. “Results of open osteochondroplasty for femoroacetabular impingement—a minimum 2 year follow-up. Brian Curtin and John Masonis.
- 2012 Virginia Orthopaedic Society Podium Presentation-“ Results of open osteochondroplasty for femoroacetabular impingement—a minimum 2 year follow-up. Brian Curtin and John Masonis.
- 2012 VCU Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds. “Hip Replacement Bearings and Recent Recalls—The Canary is Dead”. April 26, 2012.
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens Community Health Seminar. “The nuts and bolts of hip and knee replacement”. April 12, 2012. Richmond, VA.
- 2012 AAOS Podium Presentation—“ Errors in Knee Alignment Using Fixed Femoral Resection Angles”. Brian Curtin, MD; Thomas Fehring, MD, and Jessica Lauber, PA-C. San Francisco, CA.
- 2011 AAOS Poster Presentation—“Revision following TKA and UKA in the Medicare Population”. Brian Curtin, MD; Arthur Malkani, MD; Edmund Lau, MS; Steven Kurtz, PhD; Kevin Ong, PhD. San Diego, CA.
- 2009 KOS Resident Research Symposium-“Post-operative pain and contracture following TKA comparing parapatellar and subvastus approaches.
- 2009 International Trauma Symposium. Berlin, Germany. Presentation and Workshop—HYDROSET AUGMENTATION FOR FRACTURE FIXATION. Brian Curtin, MD and David Seligson, MD.
- 2009 Mid-America Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting. Podium Presentation--POST-OPERATIVE PAIN AND CONTRACTURE FOLLOWING TKA COMPARING PARAPATELLAR AND SUBVASTUS APPROACHES. Madhu Yakkanti, MD, Brian Curtin, MD, Arthur Malkani, MD.
- Poster Presentation 2009 MAOA-- EVALUATION OF TIBIA FRACTURE UNION WITH FINE-CUT CT SCANS AND PLAIN RADIOGRAPHY. Brian Curtin, MD, Madhu Yakkanti, MD, Craig Roberts, MD, Steven Glassman, MD.
- 2008 KOS Resident Research Symposium—“Evaluation of Tibia Fracture Union with fine-cut CT Scans and plain radiography.”
- March 2008 University of Louisville Spine Conference—“Vertebral Osteomyelitis”.
- March 2008 University of Louisville Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds—“Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Reconstruction”.
- 2006 OTA Phoenix, AZ—“Review of Titanium Implants”.
- 2000 Gastroenterology Conference Poster, San Diego, CA. G Protein-coupled receptor kinase (GRK) specificity of endogenous type I vasoactive intestinal polypeptide (VIP) receptor expressed on the surface of HEK 293 cells. Michael A. Shetzline, Julia K. Walker, Brian M. Curtin, Richard T. Premont, Marc G. Caron.
- 2000 Gastroenterology Conference Poster. San Diego, CA. The role of protein kinase A (PKA) dependent phosphorylation of the secretin receptor in receptor internalization. Michael A. Shetzline, Julia K. Walker, Brian M. Curtin, Richard T. Premont, Marc G. Caron