Fast Facts to Know:
- Dr. Bradley Segebarth at the OrthoCarolina Spine Center, Concord and University is the only physician in Charlotte, NC performing this surgery (as of publication date)
- Annually in the U.S., more than 500,000 discectomies are performed. That’s greater than all the spine fusions combined.
- The surgical goal is to reduce the nerve pain caused by bulges in a disc. Removing the defect that’s pressing on a nerve or nerves can be profoundly beneficial.
- Most cases are done on an outpatient basis and take 30-90 minutes.
- Full recovery for most patients takes 6-9 weeks. However, patients with a Barricaid implant typically recover in roughly four weeks.
- Patients who have a Barricaid implant enjoy an 81% reduction in the surgical failure rate compared with their surgical peers.
- Barricaid is covered by Medicare. For patients with private insurance, a growing number of insurers have been approving treatment.
- Barricaid is the only FDA-approved implant designed to close the annular defect after discectomy surgery.