I like Dr. Prater very much. He was willing to listen to my whole history and asked me about past issues with my knee. He was very caring when discussing treatment options. I would very much recommend Dr. Prater to anyone!
- Virginia Polytechnic and State University - Bachelor of Science
- Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
- The Hughston Clinic - Orthopedic Surgery Residency
- Steadman Hawkins Clinic of the Carolinas - Adult Reconstruction Fellowship
Dr. Canaan Prater is a fellowship-trained adult reconstruction surgeon specializing in primary and complex revision hip and knee replacement surgery. His practice emphasizes hip and knee joint preservation and reconstruction utilizing minimally invasive techniques, including anterior hip replacement. Dr. Prater offers robotic-assisted hip and knee replacement surgery, as well as fully-customized total and partial knee replacements. He also specializes in arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder and knee.
Dr. Prater received his undergraduate degree from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), where he was a member of the All-Academic Team and Athletic Director’s Honor Roll. He earned his medical degree from The Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine and completed his orthopedic residency training at the Hughston Clinic. During his residency, Dr. Prater was voted chief resident, served as editor of the Hughston Health Alert, and published multiple award-winning papers. He finished his extensive education with specialty training in hip and knee replacement surgery with the renowned Steadman Hawkins Institute.
Dr. Prater is a former NCAA Division I wrestler and enjoys the outdoors, running, mountain biking, and spending time with his wife, Casey, and their three children.
- Primary and complex hip and knee replacement
- Robotic hip and knee replacement
- Custom total and partial knee replacement
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Knee arthroscopy
- Fracture care
- Specializes in treatment of hip and knee arthritis
- Specializes in total knee and total hip replacement
- Specializes in partial knee replacement
- Specializes in revision total knee and total hip replacement
- Specializes in arthroscopic knee and shoulder surgery
- Member of American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Prater MC, Janz B. Mixed Lymphangioma and Cavernous Hemangioma Arising in the Ulnar Nerve: Case Report. HAND 2017 Sep;12(5):NP145-NP147. PMID:28391718
- Prater MC, Coffee D. MD vs DO, What is the Difference? Hughson Health Alert 2017:29(3).
- Prater MC, Janz B. Management of Severe Cutaneous Mucormycosis Infection. 2016 American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics Scientific Paper Award, Hand.
- Prater MC, Baker CL Jr. Minimally Invasive Treatment of Tendinopathy with Percutaneous Ultrasonic Tenotomy. Hughson Health Alert 2018:30. Hughson Health Alert 2017:29(4).
- Prater MC, Ruark R. Incidence of Spondylolisthesis in Patients Presenting with Hip Pain. Submitted to Journal of Arthroplasty, 2018. Baker CL III, Baker CL Jr, Rehak DC, Tucker MM, Prater, MC. Distal Biceps Repair: A Retrospective Review and Current Outcomes. Finalizing manuscript, 2018
- Prater MC, Nace J. Establishing Predicative Criteria for Survivorship of Articulating Antibiotic Hip Spacers. Data collection, 2018
- Prater MC, Harris RM. Can Visual Aids Improve Patient Satisfaction? Data collection, 2018
- Management of Severe Cutaneous Mucormycosis Infection, American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics (AOAO) Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL (10/12/17).