James S. Starman, MD 336.993.8573
- Sports Medicine
- Cartilage Restoration
- Shoulder & Elbow
- Sports Medicine
- University of Notre Dame - Bachelor of Science - Magna cum laude
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine - Doctor of Medicine
- Carolinas Medical Center - Internship, Residency, Research Fellowship
- University of Virginia - Fellowship, Sports Medicine
Dr. Starman specializes in treating disorders of the shoulder and knee. He began his medical training at the esteemed University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, during which time he spent a year working directly with world-renowned ACL surgeon Dr. Freddie Fu. Upon graduation, Dr. Starman completed a multifaceted orthopedic surgery residency at Carolinas Medical Center and an additional year of training for a comprehensive sports medicine fellowship at the University of Virginia.
Dr. Starman has assisted in the care of a variety of collegiate teams including the 2013-14 ACC Men’s Basketball Champion UVA Cavaliers, nationally ranked UVA men’s lacrosse team, and the James Madison Dukes football team. He is a member of a numerous national professional organizations including the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, and the Arthroscopy Association of North America.
Dr. Starman has authored dozens of publications in peer-reviewed journals covering various sports medicine and general orthopaedic topics, is a reviewer for the Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, and has been a contributing author to seven different textbooks. He was also recognized nationally by the American Medical Association as a recipient of the National Leadership Foundation Award for his medical advocacy work.
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Member, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Buoncristiani AM, Tjoumakaris FP, Starman JS, Ferretti M, Fu FH. Anatomic Double-Bundle Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: Current Concepts. Arthroscopy. 2006 Sep;22(9):1000-6.
- Hussein M, Starman JS, Fu FH. Anatomic Double Bundle ACL Reconstruction. Endoscopic Review. 2006 November; 11(26):99-107.
- Chhabra A, Starman JS, Ferretti M, Vidal AF, Zantop T, Fu FH. Anatomic, Radiographic, Biomechanical, and Kinematic Evaluation of the ACL and its Two Functional Bundles. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006 December; 88(Suppl 4):2-10.
- Steckel H, Starman JS, Baums MH, Klinger HM, Schultz W, Fu FH. Anatomy of the ACL Double Bundle Structure. A Macroscopic Evaluation. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2007 17(4): 387-92. [Epub 2006 Jun 28]
- Steckel H, Starman JS, Baums MH, Klinger HM, Schultz W, Fu FH. The Double-Bundle Technique for Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: A Systematic Overview. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2007 17(2): 99-108. [Epub 2006 Nov 1]
- Starman JS, VanBeek C, Armfield D, Baker C, Sahasrabudhe A, Irrgang J, Fu FH. Assessment of Normal ACL Double Bundle Anatomy in Standard Viewing Planes by Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2007 May; 15(5):493-9. [Epub 2007 Jan 16]
- Cohen SB, Starman JS, VanBeek, CA, Armfield DR, Fu FH. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Two Bundles of the Normal Anterior Cruciate Ligament. Arthroscopy. 2007 June; 23(6): e5-6.
- Kaz R, Starman JS, Fu FH. Anatomic Double Bundle ACL Reconstruction Revision Surgery. Arthroscopy. 2007 Nov; 23(11):1250.e1-3. Epub 2007 Jan 18.
- Fu FH, Shen W, Starman JS, Okeke N, Irrgang J. Primary Anatomic DB ACL Reconstruction: A Preliminary 2 Year Prospective Study. Am J Sports Med. 2008 Jul;36(7):1263-74. Epub 2008 Mar 19.
- Cohen SB, VanBeek C, Starman JS, Armfield D, Irrgang JJ, Fu FH. MRI measurement of the 2 bundles of the normal anterior cruciate ligament. Orthopedics. 2009 Sep; 32(9): pii.
- Starman JS, Castillo RC, Bosse MJ, MacKenzie EJ, LEAP study Group. Proximal end segment tibial metaphyseal fractures with severe soft tissue injury: Clinical and functional Results at two years. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010 Jun;468(6):1669-75. Epub 2009 Oct 28.
- Starman JS, Morgan RJ, Fleischli JE, D’Alessandro DF. Technical Note: Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction using the Biomet Sports Medicine ZipLoop® for Ulnar Side Fixation. Orthopedics. 2010 May 1;33 (5):312-6.
- Morgan RJ, Starman JS, Habet NA, Peindl RD, Bankston LS, D'Alessandro DD, Connor PM, Fleischli JE. A Biomechanical Evaluation of the Biomet Sports Medicine ZipLoop for Ulnar Fixation in Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction to the Jobe Technique. Am J Sports Med. 2010 Jul;38(7):1448-55 May 4. [EPub May 4]
- Starman JS, Gettys FK, Capo JA, Fleischli JE, Norton HJ, Karunakar M. Quality and Content of Internet Based Information for Ten Common Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Diagnoses. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Jul;92-A(7):1612-1618.
- Starman JS, Bosse MJ, Cates CA, Norton HJ. Recombinant Human Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2 use in the Off-Label Treatment of Non-unions and Acute Fractures: A Retrospective Review. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 72(3): 676-681, March 2012.
- Montijo HE, Kellam JF, Bosse MJ, Gettys FK, Starman JS, Nelson K, Bayoumi EM, Gruber HE. Utilization of the AO Locking Rat Nail in a Novel Rat Femur Critical Defect Model. J Investigative Surgery. 25: 381-386, 2012.
- Gruber H, Gettys K, Montijo H, Starman JS, Bayoumi, E, Nelson K, Hoelscher G, Ramp W, Zinchenko N, Ingram J, Bosse M, Kellam J. Genome-wide Molecular and Biologic Characterization of Biomembrane Formation Adjacent to a Methacrylate Spacer in the Rat Femoral Segmental Defect Model. [EPub Nov 26, 2012], Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2013 May;27(5):290-7.
- Starman JS, Konda SR, Kellam JF: Proximal humerus fractures in osteoporotic bone. Orthopaedic Knowledge Online Journal 2013; 11(8): https://www.aaos.org/OKOJ/vol11/issue8/TRA050/?ssopc=1. Accessed August 1, 2013
- Starman JS, Griffin JW, Kandil A, Ma R, Hogan MV, Miller MD. What’s New in Sports Medicine 2014. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 2014 Apr 16; 96(8): 695-702.
- Lack WD, Starman JS, Seymour R, Bosse MJ, Karunakar M, Sims SH, Kellam JF. Any Cortical Bridging Predicts Healing of Tibial Shaft Fractures. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 2014 Jul 2; 96(13):1066-1072.
- Burrus T, Starman JS, Werner B, Carson E, Gwathmey FW, Diduch D, Wilder R. “Evaluation and management of chronic leg pain in athletes.” [Epub, Aug 25th, 2014] Am J Sports Med. 2015 Jun;43(6):1538-47.
- Burrus TM, Werner BC, Starman, JS, Kurkis G, Pierre J, Diduch DR, Hart JM. Patient Perceptions and Current Trends in Internet Use by Orthopaedic Outpatients. HSS J. 2017 Oct;13(3):271-275.
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications
- Starman JS, Fu FH. Anatomic Double-Bundle ACL Reconstruction Surgical Technique. Orthopedics Today. 2006 April; 26(4):62-64.
- Tjoumakaris FP, Buoncristiani AM, Starman JS, Fu FH. Anatomic Double Bundle Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Using Tibialis Anterior Allograft. Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine. 2006 15(2): 62-67.
- Cohen SB, Starman JS, Fu FH. Anatomic Double Bundle Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Techniques in Knee Surgery. 5(2):99-106, June 2006.
Books & Book Chapters
- Cohen SB, Starman JS, Fu FH. “Anatomic Double Bundle Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction”. Practical Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Editors: D. Johnson, R. Pedowitz. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2007.
- Starman JS, Ferretti M, Jarvela T, Buoncristiani AM, Fu FH. “Anatomy and Biomechanics of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament.” The Anterior Cruciate Ligament: Reconstruction and Basic Science. Editor: C. Prodromos, Elsevier: 2007.
- Buoncristiani AM, Tjoumakaris FP, Starman JS, Fu FH. “Anatomic Double Bundle Reconstruction of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament.” The Anterior Cruciate Ligament: Reconstruction and Basic Science. Editor: C. Prodromos, Elsevier: 2007.
- Tjoumakaris FP, Buoncristiani AM, Starman JS, Fu FH. “ACL Reconstruction of Partial Tears: Reconstructing One Bundle.” The Anterior Cruciate Ligament: Reconstruction and Basic Science. Editor: C. Prodromos, Elsevier: 2007.
- Buoncristiani AM, Starman JS, Fu FH. “Anatomic Double Bundle Reconstruction of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament.” Surgical Techniques of the Shoulder, Elbow, and Knee in Sports Medicine Editors: B. Cole, J. Sekiya. Elsevier: 2007.
- Cohen SB, Starman JS, Fu FH. “Double bundle ACL Reconstruction Surgical Technique.” Surgical Techniques of the Knee. Editor: D. McGuire. Elsevier, 2007.
- Starman JS, Crow AJ, Miller MD. “Single Bundle ACL” Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery. (2nd edition). Editor: S. Weisel. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2015.
- Starman JS, Crow AJ, Diduch DR. Patellofemoral Disorders. MRI-Arthroscopy Correlations. Editor: S. Brockmeier, Springer, 2015.
- Crow AJ, Starman JS, Wilson AS, Diduch DR. “PCL Inlay Surgical Technique”. Chapter 31. AANA Advanced Arthroscopic Techniques. Editors: J. Lubowitz, M. Provencher, N. Sgaglione, SLACK, Inc. 2015.