Scott Shawen, MD
- Brigham Young - Bachelor of Science
- Duke University - Doctor of Medicine
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center - Internship
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center - Orthopedic Residency
- Miller Orthopedic - Fellowship, Foot & Ankle
- Team Physician for Wingate University
- Team Physician for Winthrop University
- Dr. Shawen's medical career has taken him all over the world. Prior to joining OrthoCarolina, Dr. Shawen served as an Associate Professor of Surgery at Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland and Residency Program Director and Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Service Chief at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. While at Walter Reed, Dr. Shawen focused on lower extremity trauma and amputation surgery and was intimately involved in the care of wounded soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. Dr. Shawen deployed with the 14th Combat Support Hospital and supported the 7th Group Special Forces during his tour, caring for many local nationals and injured coalition soldiers. He is very happy to return to Charlotte after retiring from 21 years of military service. Dr. Shawen and his wife Linda have five children. He enjoys outdoor activities, woodworking, biking, and time with his family.
- Specializes in lower extremity trauma, fractures, reconstruction, and amputations.
Clinical interests include foot/ankle and lower extremity deformity correction, trauma, and fracture care; foot/ankle sports medicine/arthroscopy; cartilage preservation; bunion, hammertoes, tendon transfers, fusions, ligament repair, flatfoot correction and arthritis management of the foot and ankle, including ankle replacement.
- Fellow, American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society - Serves on the Humanitarian Services Committee
- Member, American Orthopaedic Association
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Orthopaedic Reviewer, Foot & Ankle International
- Orthopaedic Reviewer, Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery
- Orthopaedic Reviewer, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
- Orthopedic Reviewer, Clinical Anatomy
- Consultant, Orthopaedic & Rehabilitation Devices Panel, Food & Drug Administration
- Legion of Merit
- Bronze Star Medal
- order of Military Medical Merit
- A-Proficiency Designator
- Walter Reed NMMC Master Clinican Award
- Vice-Admiral Zimble Award - Outstanding Program Director, National Capital Consortium 2011
- Orthopaedic Residency Teaching Award 2015
- 2005 Founder's Award Winner (best original paper with military relevance): Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons 47th Annual Meeting. Bioartificial Dermal Substitute use for Combat-Related Wounds.
- 2003 Bailey K. Ashford Award Winner (housestaff with most significant clinical research) , Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, . Osteoporosis and Anterior Femoral Notching in Periprosthetic Femur Fractures: A Biomechanical Analysis/Hemimetameric Segmental Shift: Case Series and Review.
- Finalist, 2002 Roger A. Mann Award, American Foot and Ankle Society, Traverse City, MI, 2002. Fine Wire External Fixation for the Management of Chronic Ulcerations Associated With Charcot Arthropathy.
- Finalist, 2002 Charles A. Hufnagel Resident’s Research Award, 22nd Uniformed Services University Surgical Associates Day. Osteoporosis and Anterior Femoral Notching in Periprosthetic Femur Fractures: A Biomechanical Analysis.
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center Orthopaedic Research Day Award Winner – 2000. Osteoporosis and Anterior Femoral Notching in Periprosthetic Femur Fractures: A Biomechanical Analysis
journal articles (published/Accepted - peer reviewed)
Tintle, S, Shawen SB, Potter BK. “Re-operation Following Combat Related Major Lower Extremity Amputations.” J Orthop Trauma. 2014 Apr;28(4):232-7.
Belmont PJ Jr, Hoffmann JD, Tokish JM, Arrington ED, Shawen SB, Orr JD. “Overview of the military orthopaedic surgery residency application and selection process.” Mil Med. 2013 Sep;178(9):1016-23.
Keeling JJ, Shawen SB, Forsberg JA, Kirk KL, Hsu JR, Gwinn DE, Potter BK. “Comparison of Functional Outcomes following Bridge Synostosis (Ertl) versus non-bone Bridging Transtibial Combat-related Amputations.” J Bone Joint Surg Am. May 2013, 15;95(10):888-93.
Dickens J, Kilcoyne K, Kluk M, Gordon W, Shawen S, Potter B. “Risk Factors for Infection and Amputation following Open Combat-Related Calcaneus Fractures.” J Bone Joint Surg Am. Mar 2013, 06;95(5):e24 1-8.
Tintle SM, Donohue MA, Shawen SB, Forsberg JA, Potter BK. “Proximal Sural Traction Neurectomy During Transtibial Amputations.” J Orthop Trauma. 2011 Jul 28.
Tintle SM, Keeling JJ, Forsberg JA, Shawen SB, Andersen RC, Potter BK. “Operative complications of combat-related transtibial amputations: a comparison of the modifies burgess and modified ertl tibiofibular synostosis techniques.” J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011 Jun 1;93(11):1016-21.
Stojadinovic A, Kyle Potter B, Eberhardt J, Shawen SB, Andersen RC, Forsberg JA, Shwery C, Ester EA, Schaden W. “Development of a prognostic naïve Bayesian classifier for the successful treatment of nonunions.” J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011 Jan;93(2):187-94.
Tintle SM, Keeling JJ, Shawen SB, Forsberg JA, Potter BK. “Traumatic and Trauma Related Amputations, part I: General Principles and Lower-Extremity Amputations” J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Dec 1;92(17):2852-68.
Hampton CH, Keeling JJ, Shawen SB. “Technical Tip: A New Positioning Technique for Combined Anterior, Lateral, and Posterior Ankle and Hindfoot Procedures.” Foot & Ankle Int. 2010 Apr;31(4):348-50.
Elster EA, Stojadinovic A, Forsberg JA, Fischer A, Sailler A, Karradas E, Shawen S, Schaden W, “Extracorporal shock wave therapy for nonunion of the tibia.” J Ortho Trauma, 2010 Mar;24(3):133-41.
Helgeson MD, Potter BK, Tucker CJ, Frisch HM, Shawen SB. “Antibiotic-impregnated Calcium Sulfate Use in Combat-related Open Fractures.” Orthopedics 2009; 32:323.
Keeling J, Andersen RA, Shawen SB. “Open Midfoot Injuries related to Blast Trauma.” Foot & Ankle Int. 2009 Mar;30(3):262-7.
Mack AW, Freedman BA, Shawen SB, Smith ML, Kalasinsky VF, Gajewski DA. “Wound Complications Following the Use of FiberWire® in Lower Extremity Traumatic Amputations: A Case Series.” J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009 Mar 1;91(3):680-5.
Shawen SB, Anderson RB, Cohen BE, Hammit MD, Davis WH. “Spherical Ceramic Interpositional Arthroplasty for Basal Fourth and Fifth Metatarsal Arthritis.” Foot & Ankle Int. 2007 Aug;28(8):896-901.
Helgeson MD, Potter BK, Evans KN, Shawen SB. Bioartificial Dermal Substitute Use for Management of Complex Combat-Related Soft Tissue Wounds. J Orthop Trauma, 2007 Jul;21(6):394-9.
Giuliani, J., Freedman, B., Shawen, S., and Farber, G.: Subtalar Dislocation Presenting in an 8-Year-Old Boy: A Rare Clinical Presentation. Am J Orthop. 2007 Mar;36(3):148-51.
Potter BK, Freedman BA, Lehman RA, Shawen SB, Kuklo TR, Murphey MD. “Solitary Epiphyseal Enchondromas.” J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005 July:87-A(6):1551-1560,.
Lehman, R., Potter, B., Kuklo, T., Chang, A., Shawen, S., Polly, D., and Orchowski, J.: “Probing for Thoracic Pedicle Screw Tract Violation(s): Is It Valid?” Journal of Spinal Disorders. 2004 Aug;17(4):277-83.
Shawen, S., Belmont, P., Klemme, W, Xenos, J., Topoleski, T., and Orchowski, J.: “Osteoporosis and Anterior Femoral Notching in Periprosthetic Femur Fractures: A Biomechanical Analysis.” J Bone Joint Surg. 2003 Jan:85-A(1):115-121.
Shawen, S., Belmont, P., Kuklo, T., Owens, B., Taylor, K., Kruse, R., and Polly, D.: “Hemimetameric Segmental Shift: Case Series and Review.” Spine. 2002 Dec 15:27(24):539-44.
Belmont, P., Taylor, K., Mason, K., Shawen, S., Klemme, W., and Polly, D.: “Incidence, Epidemiology and Occupational Outcomes of Thoracolumbar Fractures among U.S. Army Aviators.” Journal of Trauma, 2001 May;50(5):855-861.
Shawen, S., McHale, K., and Temple, H.T.: “Correction of Ankle Valgus Deformity Secondary to Hereditary Multiple Exostosis with Ilizarov,” Foot & Ankle Int, 2000 Dec;21(12):1019-22.
Ricca, R., Kuklo, T., Shawen, S., Vick, D., and Schaefer, R.: "Periosteal chondroma of the cuboid presenting in a 7-year-old boy," Foot & Ankle Int, 2000 Feb;21(2):145-9
Belmont, P., Shawen, S., et al, "Incidence and Outcomes of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Among U.S. Army Aviators," Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine, 1999 Apr; 70(4):316-20.
Lintner, S., Shawen, S., et al, "Local Anesthesia in Outpatient Knee Arthroscopy: A comparison of Efficacy and Cost, Arthroscopy, 1996 Aug; 12(4):482-8.
Day, B.J., Shawen, S., et al, "A Metalloporphyrin Superoxide Dismutase Mimetic Protects Against Paraquat-Induced Endothelial Cell Injury, In Vitro," Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 1995 Dec; 275(3):1227-32.
- Eckel, T.; Shawen S.: Hindfoot Arthritis. OKU Foot & Ankle 5 (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons).
- Dickens JF, Cody JP, Helgeson MD, Shawen SB. Military Candidates and the Secret to a Successful Orthopaedic Surgery Residency and Fellowship in Insider’s Guide to Orthopaedic Residency and Fellowship. Ed Parvizi J. Pending Publication.
- Shawen, S.; Anderson, R.: Strategies for Dealing With Fourth and Fifth Tarsometatarsal Joint Arthritis. Advanced Reconstruction of the Foot & Ankle (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons).
- Shawen, S.; Groth, A.; Potter, B.: Revision Transtibial Amputations - The Ertl Procedure. Advanced Reconstruction of the Foot & Ankle (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons).
- Orr, J.; Groth, A.; Shawen, S.: Treatment of Complex Foot and Ankle Defects. Advanced Reconstruction of the Foot & Ankle (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons).
- Bevevino, A.; Tintle, S.; Shawen, S.; Potter, B.: Knee Disarticulations and Transfemoral Amputations: General Principles, Pitfalls, and Operative Technique.
- Dickens, J., Kilcoyne, K., Potter, B., Shawen, S.: “Complex Foot and Ankle Injuries” in Combat Orthopaedic Surgery: Lessons Learned From Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Nickisch, F., Shawen, S., Anderson, R.: “Indirect Groove Deepening for Chronic Peroneal Tendon Dislocation” in Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery. Lipicont, Williams, and Wilkins. (pending press).
- Groth, A., Kirk, K., Shawen, S., Keeling, J: “Foot Surgery in War Trauma” in Armed Conflict Injuries to the Extremities. Springer (pending press).
- Andersen RC, Shawen SB, O'Toole RV, Keeling JJ. The Mangled Extremity, Wound Healing Yearbook.. Wound Healing Society Yearbook Publication, March, 2010.
- Shawen, S. et al.: “General Surgical Principles for Care of the Person with Limb Amputation” in Rehabilitation of the Combat Amputee, Textbook of Military Medicine. The Office of the Surgeon General, Borden Institute, Washington, DC, 2010.
- Shawen, S. et al.: “Special Surgical Consideration fo Care of the Person with Limb Amputation” in Rehabilitation of the Combat Amputee, Textbook of Military Medicine. The Office of the Surgeon General, Borden Institute, Washington, DC, 2010.
- Keeling, J., Andersen, R., and Shawen, S: “Amputations Below the Knee” in Orthopaedic Knowledge Update, 4th edition. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL. 2009.
- Anderson, R. and Shawen, S.: “Great Toe Disorders” in Baxter’s Foot and Ankle in Sports, 2nd edition. Philadelphia, PA. Elsevier. 2007.
- Moderator, Session on Trauma, American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Annual Meeting, Long Beach, CA, July 2015
- Moderator, Extremity War Injuries IX, Ankle Replacement/Instability Section, Washington, DC, January, 2015.
- Moderator, Extremity War Injuries VII, Resident Education Section, Washington, DC, January, 2012.
- Moderator, American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society Annual Meeting, Trauma Session, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 18 July, 2009.
- Faculty, American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society Pre-Meeting, Deformity Correction of the Foot and Ankle: Challenges and Treatment Alternatives, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 15-19 July, 2009.
- Co-Chair - AOFAS Visitation Program, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, 12-13 April, 2007.
- Foot & Ankle
- Foot & Ankle