OrthoCarolina's "Shake Ya Tail Feather" Thanksgiving Workout
Thanksgiving is upon us once again. That means lots of family time, lots of football and well, lots of food. To help alleviate some of the damage that second round of desserts left, Tyler Brady, physical therapist at OrthoCarolina's University physical therapy clinic, helped us come up a lower body circuit.
This circuit is designed to be performed in two rounds, meaning you will complete each exercise two times.
Exercise 1: Walkin’ off dessert squat walk
- How to do it: Get down into a squatting position. Slowly walk forward, keeping your head at a stable level and your bottom low.
- Reps: 10-15 steps forward and 10-15 steps back
Exercise 2: Too much stuffing makes me bloated Bulgarian split squats
- How to do it: Put one foot in front of the box, and one front behind and elevated. Keep back, elevated leg relaxed and slowly come down into a squat position. Drive yourself back up with your heel.
- Reps: 8-10 reps on each leg
Exercise 3: Let’s watch football games goblet squats
- How to do it: Using a kettle bell, hold it right underneath your chin. Keep your feet wide and your toes turned out, and sit back into a squat position. Slowly come back up.
- Reps: 10 reps
Exercise 4: Stop asking me why I’m single-leg Romanian deadlifts
- How to do it: Hold a kettlebell in one hand and stand on the opposite leg. Let your upper-body tilt forward while hinging at your hips, and then pull back up. Repeat on the other side.
- Reps: 10 on each leg
Exercise 5: I can’t wait for leftovers lateral band walk
- How to do it: Place a resistance band right above your knees. Start in a squatted position and step to the side. Make sure to keep your head level.
- Reps: 15 steps each direction
Exercise 6: Shoot, the turkey is on fire hydrants
- How to do it: Get onto all fours, keeping hands under shoulder and knees under hips. Slowly rotate one leg to the side and back down. All rotation should be happening at your hips.
- Reps: 10 reps on each side