We have all done it, made New Year’s resolutions to lose weight, eat better and get more exercise. Nine times out of 10, these resolutions start off with a bang in January but, by March have dwindled. Here are five tips to ensure you will stick to that resolution this year:
- Make reasonable goals and write them down! Don’t set yourself up for failure by setting an unreachable goal. Make small reasonable goals that can be attained and write out a plan.
- Get a buddy! Setting goals with friends and family will help hold you accountable and it’s more FUN!
- Try a new kind of exercise! There are so many forms of exercise to choose from. If you know that you hate going to the gym, than try an outdoor boot camp instead.
- Get a fitness tracker! There are so many of these on the market now. My personal favorite is the Garmin Vivo but, always do research and find out what’s best for you. These trackers will tell you how many steps you take, how many calories you burn, and can even track sleep patterns.
- Learn! Whether you want to lose weight or start a new training program, you should take time a learn from the experts. Read fitness articles, ask the trainers at the gym and/or check out phone apps like myfitnesspal. Knowledge is power and with all the information that we have available to us it is important to take advantage of it!
Meredith Bumgarner is an Occupational Therapist at Orthocarolina and Owner/Instructor of HardBodies Fitness Studio.