Thomas K. Fehring, MD 704.323.2564
Hear What Patients Have to Say
Dr. Fehring was very helpful with his time and knowledge in discussing knee surgery options. Left me very confident we were making the right decision. Was very easy going and reassuring about the outcome. I think he made all the right decisions in repairing my knee. Excellent work. I would highly recommend.- Steele A.
- Hip & Knee
- Wake Forest University -- Bachelor of Science
- University of Texas Medical Branch -- Doctor of Medicine
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center -- Internship
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center -- Residency
- New England Baptist Hospital -- Fellowship, Adult Reconstructive Surgery
- Operation Walk Team Member - Cuba 2017
- President of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons in 2013 and President of the Knee Society in 2014
- Co-Director of the OrthoCarolina Charitable Foundation that supports educational initiatives locally and internationally
- Invited speaker at the Musculoskeletal Infection Society meeting in Charlotte, July 2016
- Chairman of the combined Knee Society and American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeon regional meeting being held in Charlotte, May 20, 2016
- Director, Adult Reconstructive Fellowship OrthoCarolina
- Director Transitional Care Unit - Charlotte-Orthopaedic Hospital
- Membership Committee Hip Society
- Membership Committee American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Board of Directors, Knee Society
- Board of Directors, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Board of Directors, Heineman Medical Research
- Founder, Doc Martin Sports Medicine Enhancement Foundation - Wake Forest University
- Director, OrthoCarolina Charitable Foundation
- Patient Education partner AAHKS
- Specializes in surgery for arthritis of the hip and knee
- Specializes in primary total knee replacement
- Specializes in primary total hip replacement
- Specializes in revision total knee replacement
- Specializes in revision total hip replacement
- Specializes in arthroscopic knee surgery
- Board Certified Surgeon
- The Hillman Visiting Professor at Vanderbilt University Orthopaedic Department, May 2016
- The John Insall Visiting Professor Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, New York, April 2016
- Presentations at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons’ Annual Meeting. Presentation titles include: “The Most Important Things that I do to avoid Infection”, “Custom Triflange is Best for Revisions with Massive Bone Loss”, “Prevention and Management of Instability in TKA”, “Failed MoM: Current Diagnostic Algorithm and Guidelines”, “Leadership 2.0:”, “Goal Setting”, “Fighting Inertia”, “Maintaining Balance while Leading” as well as Moderator for the case presentation course entitled “Management of Infected Total Joint Arthroplasty in 2016 – Where do we stand now?”
- Member of the Hip Society -- Dr. Fehring is the only member from the Charlotte area. There are only 100 members worldwide
- Member of the Knee Society -- Currently the Vice-President, there are only 100 members worldwide. Only 40 surgeons are members of both organizations
- Founding member of the International Congress of Joint Reconstruction
- Founding member of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member of the Mecklenburg Medical Society
- 2017 - 105 knee surgeons to know, Becker's ASC Review
- Winner of a major grant from the Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation to study infection in total joint replacement
- Named Physician of the year at Charlotte Orthopaedic Hospital in 2010 and in 2011 named Physician of the Year by OrthoCarolina
- Business NC Magazine’s Top Doctors 2015
- Received a 2015 Top Achievement by Charlotte Magazine
- Named a 2014 Top Doctor - Charlotte Business Journal
- Named a 2013 Top Doctor by Charlotte Magazine
- Named to the list of 'Best Doctors of 2013' by Business NC Magazine
- Named by US News & World Report as a Top Doctor
- Top 26 Knee Surgeons in the US, 2012
- Named as one of 'Charlotte's Best Doctors 2012' -- Charlotte Business Journal
- Named to the list of 'Best Doctors of 2011' by Business NC Magazine
- 2010 Physician of Year -- Presbyterian Orthopaedic Hospital
- John Insall Award for outstanding paper, “Control-Matched Evaluation of Patellar Crepitus After Total Knee Arthroplasty -Presented by The Knee Society, 2010
- Chitranjan Ranawat award for outstanding paper, “Fate of Two-Stage Reimplantation After Failed Irrigation and debridement for Periprosthetic Knee Infection - Presented by The Knee Society, 2010
- James A. Rand, MD Young Investigators Award for most outstanding paper in the area of arthroplasty research, “Success of Modern Cementless Femoral Components in Young Patients: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Total Hip Arthroplasty and Hip Resurfacing. Do the Results Justify Hip Resurfacing?”(senior author) - Presented by the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, 2008
- Mark Coventry Award for outstanding paper, “Polyethylene Sterilization and Wear-Related Failures with PFC Total Knees” - Presented by The Knee Society, 2006
- Mark Coventry Award for outstanding paper, “Factors Influencing Wear and Osteolysis in PFC Modular Total Knees” - Presented by The Knee Society, 2003
- Chitranjan Ranawat Award for outstanding paper, “A Comparison of Articulating vs. Static Spacers in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty for Sepsis” - Presented by The Knee Society, 2000
- Winner of the 1975 NCAA Post Graduate Scholarship for Excellence in Athletics and Academics
- Atlantic Coast Conference Academic All Conference, 1974
- United States Patent, US2007080796, “Mobile/Fixed Prosthetic Knee Systems”, Fehring et al.. Date of patent: September 10, 2007
- United States Patent, US 6,773,520 B1, “Enhanced Biocompatible Implants and Alloys, Fehring, et al. Date of patent: August 10, 2004
- United States Patent, US 6,539,607 B1, “Enhanced Biocompatible Implants and Alloys”, Fehring, et al. Date of patient: April 1, 2003
- United States Patent, US 6,187,045B1, “Enhanced Biocompatible Implants and Alloys”, Fehring et al. Date of patent: February 13, 2001
- Author of 106 peer-reviewed publications, more than any other joint replacement surgeon in North or South Carolina
- Study highlights failure rate of irrigation debridement for periprosthetic infection
- Bisphosphonate Fractures as a Cause of Painful Total Hip Arthroplasty
- Joint Replacement Access in 2016: A Supply Side Crisis. Journal of Arthroplasty, December 2010: 1175-81. (Epub 2010 Sep 25)
- Early Failure of Articular Surface Replacement XL Total Hip Arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2011 May 6.
- Mortality Following Revision Joint Arthroplasty: Is Age a Factor? Orthopedics 33(10) , October, 2010; 715.
- Impact of the Economic Downturn on Adult Reconstruction Surgery: A Survey of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. Journal of Arthroplasty 25(7), October 2010; 1005-14.
- Control-matched Evaluation of Painful Patellar Crepitus after Total Knee Arthroplasty. The John Insall Award. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2010, August 13. (Epub ahead of print)
- Lower Extremity Joint Kinematics during Stair Climbing in Knee Osteoarthritis. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010, Aug 2 (Epub ahead of print)
- Fate of Two-stage Reimplantation after Failed Irrigation and Debridement for Periprosthetic Knee Infection. The Chitranjan Ranawat Award. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2010, June 26. (Epub ahead of print)
- Reduced Articular Surface of One-piece Cups: A Cause of Runaway Wear and Early Failure. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 468 (9), September 2010, 2328-32.
- Early Failures in Unicondylar Arthroplasty, Orthopedics 33 (1), Jan. 2010, 11.
- Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty: Surgical Techniques, J Bone Joint Surg 91-A (Suppl 5), Aug. 2009, 69-71.
- Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty: The Preoperative Evaluation, J Bone Joint Surg 91-A, (Suppl 5), Aug 2009, 64-68.
- Component Implantation, J Bone Joint Surg 91-A, (Suppl 5), 91-A, Aug. 2009, 13-14.
- Stem Fixation in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty, Techniques in Knee Surgery, Vol 8, (3), September, 2009, 161-165.
- An Outstanding Scientific Knee Paper from the Specialty Societies, J Bone Joint Surg 91-A, (Suppl 5): 2009, 62-63
- The Fate of Acute Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Periprosthetic Knee Infections Treated by Open Debridement and Retention of Components, Journal of Arthroplasty 24, (6), Suppl 1, September 2009, 101-104.
- Microbiological, Clinical and Surgical Features of Fungal Prosthetic Joint Infections: a Multi-institutional Experience”, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 91-A, Suppl 6, 2009, 142-149.
- Web Commentary on Mobile and Fixed-Bearing (All-Polyethylene Tibial Component) Total Knee Arthroplasty Designs: A Prospective Randomized Trial, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, www.jbjs.org, September 2009.
- Cementless Femoral Components in Young Patients: Review and Meta-Analysis of Total Hip Arthroplasty and Hip Resurfacing. Winner of Rand Award, Journal of Arthroplasty, Vol 24, (6), Suppl 1, September 2009, 2-8.
- Why Do Revision Total Hip Arthroplasties Fail? Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 467, January 2009, 166-173.
- Clinical Team: Myra Courtney, CMA & Nikki Smith, RMA
- Test/Surgery Scheduler: Brad Joyce