- University of North Carolina Charlotte -- Bachelor of Science
- University of North Carolina Charlotte -- Masters of Science
- Wake Forest University School of Medicine -- Doctor of Medicine
- Carolinas Medical Center -- Internship
- Carolinas Medical Center -- Residency, Orthopedic Surgery
- Mercy Medical Center, Baltimore -- Fellowship, Institute for Foot & Ankle Reconstruction
- As an award-winning surgeon, with over 20 years of research experience, Dr. Ellington has 17 approved patents, is currently an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Biology at UNC Charlotte and an Associate Professor of Orthopaedics at Atrium
Dr. Ellington is active in teaching orthopedic residents and fellows and also lectures regionally, nationally and internationally
- Dr. Ellington has extensive experience in research and design of orthopedic implants, develops novel technology, and is a leader in advanced / newer surgical techniques. All of which are used in the USA and international.
- Clinical Faculty, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Carolinas Medical Center
- Reviewer for Techniques in Foot & Ankle Surgery
- Reviewer for Foot and Ankle International
Reviewer for Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Board of Directors -- OrthoCarolina Foundation
Board of Directors -- OrthoCarolina Research Institute (OCRI)
Research Advisory Committee -- OrthoCarolina Research Institute (OCRI)
Team Physician -- UNC Charlotte
Team Physician -- Stewart-Haas Racing
Team Physician -- Wingate University
Team Physician -- Johnson C. Smith University
Specializes in orthopedic foot & ankle reconstruction
Arthritis management of the foot and ankle
Post-traumatic foot/ankle reconstruction
Trauma and acute fracture care of foot/ankle
Post-traumatic foot/ankle arthritis treatment
Stress fracture foot/ankle treatment
Foot/ankle sports medicine/arthroscopy
Athletic injuries to foot/ankle
Treatment of athletes
Achilles tendonitis and injury
High-arched feet correction
Foot/ankle and lower extremity (tibia) deformity correction
Spatial Frame (Ilizarov)
Paralytic conditions/drop foot/deformity
Congenital foot/ankle correction
Charcot foot/ankle treatment
Other foot/ankle treatments
Member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
Member of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
Board Certified Surgeon
- 2019 Instrument Rated Pilot
- 2018 Invited to international foot/ankle group on infection - https://icmphilly.com/
- 2017 High-Performance Rating
- 2017 Complex Aircraft Rating
- 2016 Cirrus Certified
- 2016 Private Pilot
- 2013 Reviewer for the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 2011 Reviewer for the Journal Foot and Ankle International
- 2010 Invited JBJS website creator and editor of the foot/ankle website
- 2009 Resident Teaching Award, CMC Orthopaedics
- 2008 AOA Emerging Leaders Program
- 2008 Basil Boyd Annual Research Award
- 2007 North Carolina Nano-Biotechnology Research Award
- 2007 Carolinas Medical Center Orthopaedic Surgery Annual Resident Research Award
- 2004 Alpha Omega Alpha, Honor Medical Society
- 2004 Richard L. Burton Research Achievement Award, Wake Forest Univ School of Medicine
- 2004 Highlight Paper AAOS
- 2003 Highlight Paper AAOS
- 2003 Highlight Paper OTA
- 2002 Highlight Paper OTA
- 2001 Wake Forest University School of Medicine Research Award
- 2000 Cameron Applied Research Center Excellence in Research Award
- 2000-2003 North Carolina Medical Association Academic Scholarship, Iredell County
Research Projects In Progress:
Outcomes following ankle fracture-dislocations, prospective clinical study
Amniox for hallux rigidus, randomized, prospective clinical study
Internal brace for ankle instability
Outcomes of ZImmer Total Ankle Replacement, prospective 10-year international study
Nitinol staples, fusion outcomes
Dynanail, TTC fusion outcomes
Amniox, peroneal and achilles prospective clinical study
- Ellington J.K., Reilly SS, Ramp WK, Smeltzer MS, Kellam JF, Hudson MC. Mechanisms of Staphylococcus aureus invasion of cultured osteoblasts. Microb Pathog, 26: 317-23, 1999.
Bost, K.L., Bento JL, Ellington JK, Marriott I, Hudson MC. Induction of colony-stimulating factor expression following Staphylococcus or Salmonella interaction with mouse or human osteoblasts. Infect Immun, 68:5075-83, 2000.
Ellington, J.K., Elhofy A, Hudson MC. Involvement of mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways in Staphylococcus aureus invasion of normal osteoblasts. Infect Immun, 69: 5235-42, 2001.
Ellington, J. K., L. Webb, M. Harris, B. Smith, T. Smith, K. Tan, M. Hudson. Intracellular Staphylococcus aureus. A Mechanism for the Indolence of Osteomyelitis. J. Bone Joint Surg Br, 85:918-21, 2003.
Ellington J.K., M. Harris, M.C. Hudson, S. Vishin, L.X. Webb. Intracellular Staphylococcus aureus and antibiotic resistance: Implications for treatment of staphylococcal osteomyelitis. J Orthop Res., Jan;24:87-93, 2006.
Monica Rabinovich, Shankari N. Somayaji, Rajeev Raghavan Pillai, Michael C. Hudson, Ellington, JK Michael Bosse, James Horton, and Kenneth E. Gonsalves. Active Polymer Nanoparticles: Delivery of Antibiotics. Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Vol. 1019, 2007
Ellington J.K., Kneisl J. Acrometastasis to the Foot: Three Case Reports with Primary Colon Cancer. Foot and Ankle Specialists, 2:140-5, 2009.
Ellington J.K., Jones C.P, Cohen B, Anderson R, Davis H. Clinical and radiographic review of 107 hallux metatarsophalangeal joint arthrodesis using dome-shaped reamers and a stainless-steel dorsal plate. Foot Ankle Int, 31:385-90, 2010.
Berkes M, Obremskey WT, Bosse MJ, Hymes R, Scannell B, Ellington JK. Maintenance of Hardware After Early Postoperative Infection Following Fracture Internal Fixation. JBJS Am, 92:823-8, 2010.
Ellington JK, Anderson R, Davis H, Cohen B, Jones C. Radiographic outcomes following proximal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis with an intramedullary fusion device for lesser toe deformities. Foot Ankle Int, 31:372-6, 2010.
Ellington JK, McCormick J, Marion C, Anderson R, Davis H, Cohen B, Jones C. Outcomes following surgical repair of tibialis anterior tendon rupture. Foot Ankle Int, 31:412-7, 2010.
Kwon JY, Ellington JK. Orthopeers: bring peer review to the people. Harvard Orthopaedic Journal. September, 2010.
Ellington JK, Myerson MS, Coetzee CC. The use of the Lapidus for revision hallux valgus. Foot Ankle Int. 2011 Jul;32(7):674-80.
Hunt K, Ellington JK, Anderson R, Davis H, Cohen B, Jones C. Locked vs nonlocked plates for hallux MP arthrodesis, Foot Ankle Int. 2011 Jul;32(7):704-9.
Kwon JY, Ellington JK, Marsland D, Gupta S. Safe placement of a percutaneous transcalcaneal pin: An anatomic study and technique tip. Foot Ankle Int. 2011 Jun;32(6):651-5.
Ellington JK. Hammertoes/Clawtoes: PIP Correction. Foot Ankle Clin. 2011 Dec;16(4):547-58.
Ellington JK, Myerson MS. The Use of Arthrodesis to Correct Rigid Flatfoot Deformity. Instr Course Lect. 60:311-320, 2011.
Gupta S, Ellington JK, Myerson MS. Management of specific complications after total ankle replacements. Semin Arthro 21:310-319, 2011.
Ellington JK, Michael J. Bosse, Renan C. Castillo, Dolfi Herscovici, Thomas G. DiPasquale, Ellen J. MacKenzie, And The LEAP STUDY Group. The mangled foot and ankle: the role of soft tissue coverage. J Orthop Trauma. Jan;27(1):43-8, 2013
Ellington JK, Gupta S, Myerson MS. Management of failures of total ankle replacement with the agility total ankle arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Dec 4;95(23):2112-8
Ellington JK, Myerson MS. Surgical correction of the ball and socket ankle joint in the adult associated with a talonavicular tarsal coalition. Foot Ankle Int. 2013 Oct;34(10):1381-8.
Toussaint RJ, Lin D, Ehrlichman LK, Ellington JK, Strasser N, Kwon JY. Peroneal tendon displacement accompanying intra-articular calcaneal fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Feb 19;96(4):310-5.
Hyer CF, Pinzur MS, Ellington JK, Davis WH, Jones CP. Charcot Arthropathy: Operative and Nonoperative Management. Foot Ankle Spec. 2014 Jul 15;7(4):286-290.
Ankle Arthritis. Greaser M, Ellington JK. Journal of Arthritis, May 2014.
Kwon JY, Zurakowski D, Ellington JK. Influence of Contralateral Radiographs on Accuracy of Anatomic Reduction in Surgically Treated Calcaneus Fractures. Foot Ankle Int. 2014 Oct 9.
Ellington JK, Ferguson CM. The use of amniotic membrane/umbilical cord in first metatarsophalangeal joint cheilectomy: a comparative bilateral case study. Surg Technol Int. 2014 Nov;25:63-7.
The Posterior Medial Blind Spot of the Distal Tibia: Implications for Surgical Fixation. Wusu TO, Toussaint RJ, Ellington JK, Kwon JY. Foot Ankle Spec. 2015 Feb;8(1):46-9.
Kwon JY, Guss D, Lin DE, Abousayed M, Jeng C, Kang S, Ellington JK. Foot Ankle Int. Effect of Delay to Definitive Surgical Fixation on Wound Complications in the Treatment of Closed, Intra-articular Calcaneus Fractures. Foot Ankle Int. 2015 May;36(5):508-17.
Radiographic Outcomes of Preoperative CT Scan-Derived Patient-Specific Total Ankle Arthroplasty. Hsu AR, Davis WH, Cohen BE, Jones CP, Ellington JK, Anderson RB. Foot Ankle Int. 2015 May 4.
Vulcano E, Ellington JK, Myerson MS. The spectrum of indications for subtalar joint arthrodesis. Foot Ankle Clin. 2015 Jun;20(2):293-310
Ellington JK. The subtalar joint: it is more complicated than you think. Preface. Foot Ankle Clin. 2015 Jun;20(2)
Hsu AR, Jones CP, Cohen BE, Davis WH, Ellington JK, Anderson RB. Clinical Outcomes and Complications of Percutaneous Achilles Repair System Versus Open Technique for Acute Achilles Tendon Ruptures. Foot Ankle Int. 2015 Jun 8
Hsu AR, Ellington JK. Patient-Specific 3-Dimensional Printed Titanium Truss Cage With Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis for Salvage of Persistent Distal Tibia Nonunion. Foot Ankle Spec. 2015
Ferkel E, Davis WH, Ellington JK. Entrapment Neuropathies of the Foot and Ankle. Clin Sports Med. 2015 Oct;34(4):791-801.
Ferguson CM, Ellington JK. Operative Technique: Interposition Arthroplasty and Biological Augmentation of Hallux Rigidus Surgery. Foot Ankle Clin. 2015 Sep;20(3):513-24
Hsu AR, Ellington JK, Adams SB Jr. Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis Using a Nitinol Intramedullary Hindfoot Nail. Foot Ankle Spec. 2015 Oct;8(5):389-96
Chien B, Hofmann K, Ghorbanhoseini M, Zurakowski D, Rodriguez EK, Appleton P, Ellington JK, Kwon JY., Foot Ankle Int. 2016 May 9 Relationship of Self-Reported Ability to Weight-Bear Immediately After Injury as Predictor of Stability for Ankle Fractures.
Ford SE, Ellington JK.Management of Distal Tibial Metaphyseal Bone Defects With an Intramedullary Nitinol Scaffold: A Novel Technique.Foot Ankle Spec. 2016 Nov 20.
- Functional Results of Open Broström Ankle Ligament Repair
Augmented With a Suture Tape.
Coetzee JC, Ellington JK, Ronan
JA, Stone RM.
. 2018 Feb
- The Flatfoot: Even After Decades of Work, We Still Need
Help Understanding It.
Ellington JK. Foot
. 2017 Sep;22(3)
- Jefferson Sabatini, MD, Susan
Odum, PhD, J. Kent Ellington, MD,MS, Carroll P. Jones, MD, W. Hodges Davis,
MD A Retrospective Review of Risk Factors and Conversion Rate of
Transmetatarsal Amputations to Below or Above Knee.
- Radiographic Results of Nitinol Compression Staples for
Hindfoot and Midfoot Arthrodeses.
Schipper ON, Ford SE, Moody PW, Van Doren
. 2018 Feb;39(2):172-179.
- Kwon JY, Ellington JK, Miller CP. Letter to the Editor: Costs and Radiographic Outcomes of Rotational Ankle Fractures Treated by Orthopaedic Surgeons With or Without Trauma Fellowship Training. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2018 Oct 12.
- Ford SE, Kwon JY, Ellington JK. Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis Utilizing a Titanium Intramedullary Nail With an Internal Pseudoelastic Nitinol Compression Element: A Retrospective Case Series of 33 Patients. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2019 Jan 3. pii: S1067-2516(18)30387-9
- Schipper ON, Ellington JK. Nitinol Compression Staples in Foot and Ankle Surgery. Orthop Clin North Am. 2019 Jul;50(3):391-399. doi: 10.1016/j.ocl.2019.02.003. Epub 2019 Apr 19
- Ford SE, Adair CR, Cohen BE, Davis WH, Ellington JK, Jones CP, Anderson RB. Efficacy, Outcomes, and Alignment Following Isolated Fibular Sesamoidectomy via a Plantar Approach. Foot Ankle Int. 2019 Aug 21
- Ellington K, Raikin S, Bemenderfer TB. What Strategies Can Be Implemented to Help Isolate the Causative Organism in Patients With Infection of the Foot and Ankle? Foot Ankle Int. 2019 Jul;40(1_suppl):33S-38S.
- Ellington K, Hirose CB, Bemenderfer TB. What Is the Treatment "Algorithm" for Infection After Ankle or Hindfoot Arthrodesis? Foot Ankle Int. 2019 Jul;40(1_suppl):64S-70S
- Ellington K, Bemenderfer TB.What Are the Indications for One-Stage Versus Two-Stage Exchange Arthroplasty in Management of the Infected Total Ankle Arthroplasty (TAA)? Foot Ankle Int. 2019 Jul;40(1_suppl):55S-58S
Appleton Foot and Ankle Trauma, 2011
Foot and Ankle Clinics, PIP Correction, vol 16, no 4, 2011
Coughlin and Mann, 7th edition, Midfoot and Forefoot Fractures, 2013
Orthopaedic Knowledge Update – Lessertoe deformity, 2014
Orthopaedic Knowledge Update – Flatfoot reconstruction, 2014
Which Surgical Technique produces the best clinical outcomes for a lateral ankle sprain?, 2014
What are the surgical and rehabilitative treatment options for an athlete with a combined syndesmotic and lateral ankle sprains?, 2014
What are the surgical and rehabilitative treatment options for an ankle sprain with a chondral defect?, 2014
- Which Surgical Technique produces the best clinical outcomes for a lateral ankle sprain? 2014
- Chapter 15: Nitinol Compression Staples in Foot and Ankle, OCL 50.3 (Campbell Clinic); Unique Procedures 2019
- AOFAS – Advanced Foot and Ankle Reconstruction. Repair of the ruptured Achilles. Jones and Ellington, 2019. Chp 44.
Foot and Ankle Clinics: Subtalar Joint, 2014
Instructor at Courses
1. Medline Course, Chicago, July 2018
2. Medshape Course, Boston, July 2018
3. Synthes Course, Memphis, March 2018
4. Synthes Course, St. Louis, March 2018
5. Synthes Course, West Palm, Feb 2018
6. Synthes Course, Atlanta, Feb 2018
7. Synthes Course, Cleveland, Dec 2017
8. Synthes Course Knoxville, Dec 2017
9. Foot Innovate Webinar, Amniox Nov 2017
10. Synthes Course, Baltimore, Nov 2017
11. Synthes Course Switzerland, Oct 2017
12. Synthes Course, Oct 2017
13. Lisfranc Fractures: Minneapolis Ortho Trauma Mtg, 47th
annual, Oct 2017
14. OC Reunion, Sonoma, Oct 2017
15. Synthes Course, NYC Sept 2017
16. Myerson Reunion, Beaver Creek, Feb 2017
17. Medline Courses Spring and Fall Chicago 2016
18. Grand Rounds Visiting Professor, Harvard Orthopaedic Surgery Dept, Nov 2016
19. Medline Fellows Course Oct 2016sa
20. Arthrex Fellows Course Apr 2016
21. Zimmer TAR Greeneville 2016
22. Talus Fractures. 46th Annual Orthopaedic Trauma, Minneapolis, MN Nov 2015
23. Arthrex Fellows Course Apr 2015
24. Pilon Fractures. 45th Annual Orthopaedic Trauma, Minneapolis, MN, Nov 2014
25. Arthrex Fellows Course Apr 2014
26. Wright Medical Young All Stars, NYC. Nov 2014.
27. Foot Innovate Webinar: Internal Brace. Nov 2014.
28. Syndesmotic Injuries and High Ankle Sprains. 44th Annual Orthopaedic Trauma, MN. Nov 2014.
29. Lisfranc Fractures. 44th Annual Orthopaedic Trauma, Minneapolis, MN Nov 2014.
30. Pilon Fractures. 44th Annual Orthopaedic Trauma, Minneapolis, MN, Nov 2014
31. BME, Minneapolis, 44th annual trauma symposium, Nov 2014
32. Medshape, Chicago, AOFAS, Aug 2014.
33. Zimmer Total Ankle Arthroplasty, Charlotte, May 2014
34. Amniox Medical, Miami, May 2014
35. Arthrex, Sports Medicine Orthopaedic Fellows Course, Naples, May 2014
36. Zimmer Total Ankle Arthroplasty, Detroit, Apr 2014
37. Arthrex, Foot and Ankle Orthopaedic Fellows Course, Naples, Apr 2014
38. BME, Speed, Minneapolis, 43rd annual trauma symposium, Nov 2013
39. Arthrex, Plantar plate repair, flatfoot, internal brace. Charlotte, NC, Nov, 2013
40. Amniox Medical, San Diego CA, August 2013
41. Arthrex, Advanced foot/ankle course, Naples, FL, May 2013
42. Synthes Course, Switzerland and Germany, March 2018
43. Amniox Medical, Miami FL, March 2013
44. Annual Myerson Meeting, Beaver Creek, CO, Feb. 2013Nov 2014. Talus Fractures. 44th Annual Orthopaedic Trauma, Minneapolis,MN
45. Vumedi – syndesmostic injury, 2013.
46. Foot Innovate – hallux rigidus, 2013.
47. Lisfranc. Annual Orthopaedic Trauma, Minneapolis, MN Nov 2103
48. Pilon Fractures. 43rd Annual Orthopaedic Trauma, Minneapolis, MNm Nov 2013
49. Open Lisfranc treatment. Myerson Conference, Breckenridge, CO 2013.
50. Men’s Health Magazine, Aug, 2012.
51. OrthoCarolina Exploring Program Twice Annually
52. NBC Charlotte Today, Nov 21, 2011
53. Annual Myerson Meeting, Beaver Creek, CO, Feb. 2011
54. NC Orthopaedic Technologist Annual Meeting, Oct 2, 2010
Administrative Assistant and Surgery Scheduler -- Kelly McNeff
- CMA -- Lindsay Burke
Surgical Asst -- Nicole Norton, CST, CSFA