This review is LONG overdue! Dr. Ellington has incredible knowledge when it comes to foot and ankle and amazing skill with surgery. He explained and took so much time helping me thru my ankle injury (fell down my own stairs). I am 100% going strong working and enjoying life pain free.- D. M.
- Foot & Ankle
- Foot & Ankle
- University of North Carolina Charlotte -- Bachelor of Science
- University of North Carolina Charlotte -- Masters of Science
- Wake Forest University School of Medicine -- Doctor of Medicine
- Carolinas Medical Center -- Internship
- Carolinas Medical Center -- Residency, Orthopedic Surgery
- Mercy Medical Center, Baltimore -- Fellowship, Institute for Foot & Ankle Reconstruction
- As an award winning surgeon, with over 20 years of research experience, Dr. Ellington has 16 approved patents and is currently an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Biology at UNC Charlotte
- Dr. Ellington is active in teaching orthopedic residents and fellows and also lectures regionally, nationally and internationally
- Dr. Ellington has extensive experience in research and design of orthopaedic implants, develops novel technology, and is a leader in advanced / newer surgical techniques. All of which are used in the USA and international.
- Clinical Faculty, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Carolinas Medical Center
- Reviewer for Foot and Ankle International
- Reviewer for Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Board of Directors -- OrthoCarolina Foundation
- Board of Directors -- OrthoCarolina Research Institute (OCRI)
- Research Advisory Committee -- OrthoCarolina Research Institute (OCRI)
- Team Physician -- UNC Charlotte
- Team Physician -- Stewart-Haas Racing
- Team Physician -- Wingate University
- Team Physician -- Johnson C. Smith University
Specializes in orthopedic foot & ankle reconstruction
Arthritis management of the foot and ankle
- Post-traumatic foot/ankle reconstruction
- Trauma and acute fracture care of foot/ankle
- Post-traumatic foot/ankle arthritis treatment
- Stress fracture foot/ankle treatment
- Foot/ankle sports medicine/arthroscopy
- Athletic injuries to foot/ankle
- Treatment of athletes
- Cartilage preservation
- OCD treatment
- Ligament repair
- Achilles tendonitis and injury
- Ankle instability
- Bunion correction
- Hammertoe correction
- Hallux rigidus
- Foot fusions
- Ankle fusions
- Flatfoot correction
- High-arched feet correction
Foot/ankle and lower extremity (tibia) deformity correction
- Limb Salvage
- Limb Lengthening
- Spatial Frame (Ilizarov)
Paralytic conditions/drop foot/deformity
- Tendon transfers
Congenital foot/ankle correction
Charcot foot/ankle treatment
Other foot/ankle treatments
- Member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Member of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- Board Certified Surgeon
- 2018 Invited to international foot/ankle group on infection - https://icmphilly.com/
- 2017 High-Performance Rating
- 2017 Complex Aircraft Rating
- 2016 Cirrus Certified
- 2016 Private Pilot
- 2013 Reviewer for the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 2011 Reviewer for the Journal Foot and Ankle International
- 2010 Invited JBJS website creator and editor of the foot/ankle website
- 2009 Resident Teaching Award, CMC Orthopaedics
- 2008 AOA Emerging Leaders Program
- 2008 Basil Boyd Annual Research Award
- 2007 North Carolina Nano-Biotechnology Research Award
- 2007 Carolinas Medical Center Orthopaedic Surgery Annual Resident Research Award
- 2004 Alpha Omega Alpha, Honor Medical Society
- 2004 Richard L. Burton Research Achievement Award, Wake Forest Univ School of Medicine
- 2004 Highlight Paper AAOS
- 2003 Highlight Paper AAOS
- 2003 Highlight Paper OTA
- 2002 Highlight Paper OTA
- 2001 Wake Forest University School of Medicine Research Award
- 2000 Cameron Applied Research Center Excellence in Research Award
- 2000-2003 North Carolina Medical Association Academic Scholarship, Iredell County
Research Projects In Progress:
- Outcomes following ankle fracture-dislocations, prospective clinical study
- Amniox for hallux rigidus, randomized, prospective clinical study
- Internal brace for ankle instability
- Outcomes of ZImmer Total Ankle Replacement, prospective 10 year international study
- Nitinol staples, fusion outcomes
- Dynanail, TTC fusion outcomes
- Amniox, peroneal and achilles prospective clinical study
- Ford SE, Kwon JY, Ellington JK. Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis Utilizing a Titanium Intramedullary Nail With an Internal Pseudoelastic Nitinol Compression Element: A Retrospective Case Series of 33 Patients.
J Foot Ankle Surg. 2019 Jan 3. pii: S1067-2516(18)30387-9
Kwon JY, Ellington JK, Miller CP. Letter to the Editor: Costs and Radiographic Outcomes of Rotational Ankle Fractures Treated by Orthopaedic Surgeons With or Without Trauma Fellowship Training. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2018 Oct 12.
- Ellington J.K., Reilly SS, Ramp WK, Smeltzer MS, Kellam JF, Hudson MC. Mechanisms of Staphylococcus aureus invasion of cultured osteoblasts. Microb Pathog, 26: 317-23, 1999.
- Bost, K.L., Bento JL, Ellington JK, Marriott I, Hudson MC. Induction of colony-stimulating factor expression following Staphylococcus or Salmonella interaction with mouse or human osteoblasts. Infect Immun, 68:5075-83, 2000.
- Ellington, J.K., Elhofy A, Hudson MC. Involvement of mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways in Staphylococcus aureus invasion of normal osteoblasts. Infect Immun, 69: 5235-42, 2001.
- Ellington, J. K., L. Webb, M. Harris, B. Smith, T. Smith, K. Tan, M. Hudson. Intracellular Staphylococcus aureus. A Mechanism for the Indolence of Osteomyelitis. J. Bone Joint Surg Br, 85:918-21, 2003.
- Ellington J.K., M. Harris, M.C. Hudson, S. Vishin, L.X. Webb. Intracellular Staphylococcus aureus and antibiotic resistance: Implications for treatment of staphylococcal osteomyelitis. J Orthop Res., Jan;24:87-93, 2006.
- Monica Rabinovich, Shankari N. Somayaji, Rajeev Raghavan Pillai, Michael C. Hudson, Ellington, JK Michael Bosse, James Horton, and Kenneth E. Gonsalves. Active Polymer Nanoparticles: Delivery of Antibiotics. Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Vol. 1019, 2007
- Ellington J.K., Kneisl J. Acrometastasis to the Foot: Three Case Reports with Primary Colon Cancer. Foot and Ankle Specialists, 2:140-5, 2009.
- Ellington J.K., Jones C.P, Cohen B, Anderson R, Davis H. Clinical and radiographic review of 107 hallux metatarsophalangeal joint arthrodesis using dome-shaped reamers and a stainless-steel dorsal plate. Foot Ankle Int, 31:385-90, 2010.
- Berkes M, Obremskey WT, Bosse MJ, Hymes R, Scannell B, Ellington JK. Maintenance of Hardware After Early Postoperative Infection Following Fracture Internal Fixation. JBJS Am, 92:823-8, 2010.
- Ellington JK, Anderson R, Davis H, Cohen B, Jones C. Radiographic outcomes following proximal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis with an intramedullary fusion device for lesser toe deformities. Foot Ankle Int, 31:372-6, 2010.
- Ellington JK, McCormick J, Marion C, Anderson R, Davis H, Cohen B, Jones C. Outcomes following surgical repair of tibialis anterior tendon rupture. Foot Ankle Int, 31:412-7, 2010.
- Kwon JY, Ellington JK. Orthopeers: bring peer review to the people. Harvard Orthopaedic Journal. September, 2010.
- Ellington JK, Myerson MS, Coetzee CC. The use of the Lapidus for revision hallux valgus. Foot Ankle Int. 2011 Jul;32(7):674-80.
- Hunt K, Ellington JK, Anderson R, Davis H, Cohen B, Jones C. Locked vs nonlocked plates for hallux MP arthrodesis, Foot Ankle Int. 2011 Jul;32(7):704-9.
- Kwon JY, Ellington JK, Marsland D, Gupta S. Safe placement of a percutaneous transcalcaneal pin: An anatomic study and technique tip. Foot Ankle Int. 2011 Jun;32(6):651-5.
- Ellington JK. Hammertoes/Clawtoes: PIP Correction. Foot Ankle Clin. 2011 Dec;16(4):547-58.
- Ellington JK, Myerson MS. The Use of Arthrodesis to Correct Rigid Flatfoot Deformity. Instr Course Lect. 60:311-320, 2011.
- Gupta S, Ellington JK, Myerson MS. Management of specific complications after total ankle replacements. Semin Arthro 21:310-319, 2011.
- Ellington JK, Michael J. Bosse, Renan C. Castillo, Dolfi Herscovici, Thomas G. DiPasquale, Ellen J. MacKenzie, And The LEAP STUDY Group. The mangled foot and ankle: the role of soft tissue coverage. J Orthop Trauma. Jan;27(1):43-8, 2013
- Ellington JK, Gupta S, Myerson MS. Management of failures of total ankle replacement with the agility total ankle arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Dec 4;95(23):2112-8
- Ellington JK, Myerson MS. Surgical correction of the ball and socket ankle joint in the adult associated with a talonavicular tarsal coalition. Foot Ankle Int. 2013 Oct;34(10):1381-8.
- Toussaint RJ, Lin D, Ehrlichman LK, Ellington JK, Strasser N, Kwon JY. Peroneal tendon displacement accompanying intra-articular calcaneal fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Feb 19;96(4):310-5.
- Hyer CF, Pinzur MS, Ellington JK, Davis WH, Jones CP. Charcot Arthropathy: Operative and Nonoperative Management. Foot Ankle Spec. 2014 Jul 15;7(4):286-290.
- Ankle Arthritis. Greaser M, Ellington JK. Journal of Arthritis, May 2014.
- Kwon JY, Zurakowski D, Ellington JK. Influence of Contralateral Radiographs on Accuracy of Anatomic Reduction in Surgically Treated Calcaneus Fractures. Foot Ankle Int. 2014 Oct 9.
- Ellington JK, Ferguson CM. The use of amniotic membrane/umbilical cord in first metatarsophalangeal joint cheilectomy: a comparative bilateral case study. Surg Technol Int. 2014 Nov;25:63-7.
- The Posterior Medial Blind Spot of the Distal Tibia: Implications for Surgical Fixation. Wusu TO, Toussaint RJ, Ellington JK, Kwon JY. Foot Ankle Spec. 2015 Feb;8(1):46-9.
- Kwon JY, Guss D, Lin DE, Abousayed M, Jeng C, Kang S, Ellington JK. Foot Ankle Int. Effect of Delay to Definitive Surgical Fixation on Wound Complications in the Treatment of Closed, Intra-articular Calcaneus Fractures. Foot Ankle Int. 2015 May;36(5):508-17.
- Radiographic Outcomes of Preoperative CT Scan-Derived Patient-Specific Total Ankle Arthroplasty. Hsu AR, Davis WH, Cohen BE, Jones CP, Ellington JK, Anderson RB. Foot Ankle Int. 2015 May 4.
- Vulcano E, Ellington JK, Myerson MS. The spectrum of indications for subtalar joint arthrodesis. Foot Ankle Clin. 2015 Jun;20(2):293-310
- Ellington JK. The subtalar joint: it is more complicated than you think. Preface. Foot Ankle Clin. 2015 Jun;20(2)
- Hsu AR, Jones CP, Cohen BE, Davis WH, Ellington JK, Anderson RB. Clinical Outcomes and Complications of Percutaneous Achilles Repair System Versus Open Technique for Acute Achilles Tendon Ruptures. Foot Ankle Int. 2015 Jun 8
- Hsu AR, Ellington JK. Patient-Specific 3-Dimensional Printed Titanium Truss Cage With Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis for Salvage of Persistent Distal Tibia Nonunion. Foot Ankle Spec. 2015
- Ferkel E, Davis WH, Ellington JK. Entrapment Neuropathies of the Foot and Ankle. Clin Sports Med. 2015 Oct;34(4):791-801.
- Ferguson CM, Ellington JK. Operative Technique: Interposition Arthroplasty and Biological Augmentation of Hallux Rigidus Surgery. Foot Ankle Clin. 2015 Sep;20(3):513-24
- Hsu AR, Ellington JK, Adams SB Jr. Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis Using a Nitinol Intramedullary Hindfoot Nail. Foot Ankle Spec. 2015 Oct;8(5):389-96
- Chien B, Hofmann K, Ghorbanhoseini M, Zurakowski D, Rodriguez EK, Appleton P, Ellington JK, Kwon JY., Foot Ankle Int. 2016 May 9 Relationship of Self-Reported Ability to Weight-Bear Immediately After Injury as Predictor of Stability for Ankle Fractures.
- Ford SE, Ellington JK.Management of Distal Tibial Metaphyseal Bone Defects With an Intramedullary Nitinol Scaffold: A Novel Technique.Foot Ankle Spec. 2016 Nov 20.
- Functional Results of Open Broström Ankle Ligament Repair Augmented With a Suture Tape. Coetzee JC, Ellington JK, Ronan JA, Stone RM. Foot Ankle Int . 2018 Feb
- The Flatfoot: Even After Decades of Work, We Still Need Help Understanding It. Ellington JK. Foot Ankle Clin . 2017 Sep;22(3)
- Jefferson Sabatini, MD, Susan Odum, PhD, J. Kent Ellington, MD,MS, Carroll P. Jones, MD, W. Hodges Davis, MD A Retrospective Review of Risk Factors and Conversion Rate of Transmetatarsal Amputations to Below or Above Knee. Amputation. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2473011417S000343
- Radiographic Results of Nitinol Compression Staples for Hindfoot and Midfoot Arthrodeses. Schipper ON, Ford SE, Moody PW, Van Doren B, Ellington JK.Foot Ankle Int . 2018 Feb;39(2):172-179.
- Appleton Foot and Ankle Trauma, 2011
- Foot and Ankle Clinics, PIP Correction, vol 16, no 4, 2011
- Coughlin and Mann, 7th edition, Midfoot and Forefoot Fractures, 2013
- Orthopaedic Knowledge Update – Lessertoe deformity, 2014
- Orthopaedic Knowledge Update – Flatfoot reconstruction, 2014
- Which Surgical Technique produces the best clinical outcomes for a lateral ankle sprain?, 2014
- What are the surgical and rehabilitative treatment options for an athlete with a combined syndesmotic and lateral ankle sprains?, 2014
- What are the surgical and rehabilitative treatment options for an ankle sprain with a chondral defect?, 2014
- Foot and Ankle Clinics: Subtalar Joint, 2014
- Administrative Assistant and Surgery Scheduler -- Kelly McNeff
- CMA -- Lindsay Burke
- Surgical Asst -- Nicole Norton, CST, CSFA