Originally from New Jersey, Dr. Randall McKnight brings a wealth of experience to the Hand and Upper Extremities specialty of OrthoCarolina.
He attended Dartmouth College and graduated with a B.S. in Neuroscience. After serving as a high school chemistry teacher in New Orleans for four years, Dr. McKnight returned to school to complete medical school at the University of California, San Diego.
His commitment to excellence led him to complete a hand fellowship at Stanford as well as complete his orthopedic surgery residency in Charlotte, NC.
Outside of work, Dr. McKnight enjoys spending quality time with his wife and cat, Murph, as well as playing sports and traveling.
- Stanford University Hand Fellowship
- University of California, San Diego – Doctor of Allopathic Medicine
- Dartmouth College – B.S. in Neuroscience
- Hand, wrist, and elbow surgery.
- Associations: ASSH, AAHS, AAOS
- Wrist and small joint arthroscopy
- CMC arthroplasty with tightrope
- Open and endoscopic carpal tunnel releases.
- C. McCollister Evarts Resident Leadership Forum, 2021
- ASSH Candidate Member and Meeting Scholarship, 2020
- AOFAS Resident Scholar Award, 2020
- Carolinas Medical Center Orthopaedic Residency Research Resident, 2018
- Best Basic Science Project, Carolinas Medical Center Orthopaedic Residency, 2018
- Gold Humanism Honor Society, 2015
- National Institute of Health Summer Research Training Grant, 2013
- Dartmouth College Academic Honor List, 2008
- Dartmouth Track and Field Captain, 2007-2008
- Dartmouth Varsity Track and Field Letter Award, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
- Ivy League Heptagonal Championship Triple Jump Bronze Medal, 2007
- All-New England Track and Field Award, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
National, Regional, and Local Podium Presentations
- Lower Trapezius Transfers to Restore Motion in Children. Oscar Miller Day, Charlotte, NC. 29 October 2021.
- Nerve Transfers in Tetraplegia: Current Outcomes. Grand Rounds, Charlotte NC. 24 September 2020. https://youtu.be/dwyMYB62XII&n...;
- Intraarticular Calcaneus Fractures; When is Primary Subtalar Fusion Indicated? Grand Rounds, Charlotte, NC. 24 October 2019
- Biomechanical Properties of Nitinol Staples. American Society for Surgery of Hand (ASSH) Annual Meeting. Boston, MA. 2018.
- Augmented Reality in Orthopaedic Surgery: Where are we now? Grand rounds, Charlotte, NC. 9 April 2018.
- Biomechanical Properties of Nitinol Staples. OREF/ORS Southeast Region Resident Research Symposium. 2018.
- Scaphoid Fractures in the older adult. Podium presentation at 2017 Oscar Miller Day, Charlotte North Carolina. 6 October 2017.
- Peripheral Nerve Laceration Repair: Bridging the Gap. Grand rounds, Charlotte, NC. 28 August 2017.
- Rotator cuff muscle mapping: depths of supraspinatus and infraspinatus muscles relative to skin. Podium presentation at 2014 Western Regional Meeting, American Federation of Research. 23 January 2014
- Bloomer, A.; McKnight, R.; Johnson, N.; Macknet, D.; Hsu, JR. Screw Only Primary Subtalar Arthrodesis for Calcaneus Fractures. FAI 2021.
- McKnight, R., Ruffolo,M.; MD; Wally, M; Seymour, R; Jeray, K; Matuszewski; Weinlein, J; Hsu, J; Southeast Fracture Consortium. Traumatic arthrotomies: do they all need the operating room?. JOT Aug 2021. PMID 34387570.
- Reid, R; McKnight, R.; Secrist, E.; Clark, C. Sternoclavicular septic arthritis caused by C. Acnes in a previously healthy 13 year old male. JBJS Case Connectors. July 2021. PMID 34264874
- McKnight, R; Tait, M.; Bracey, J.; Lewis, D.; Gaston, RG. Retrospective Comparison of Capitolunate Arthrodesis Using Headless Compression Screws vs Nitinol Memory Staples for SLAC and SNAC Wrist: Radiographic, Functional, and Patient-Reported Outcomes.. HAND April 2021. 33789517.
- Wally, M; Bemenderfer, T; McKnight, R.; Gorbaty, J; Jeray, K; Seymour, R; Karunakar, M. Quality and Content of Internet-Based Information for Osteoporosis and Fragility Fracture Diagnoses. Under Review, JAAOS Global 2021. PMID: 33591128
- McKnight, R.; Pean, C; Buck, JS; Hsu, JR; Pierrie, S. Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality – Translating Surgical Training into Surgical Technique. Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine, Aug 2020. PMID 32779019
- Secrist, E; Wally, M; McKnight, R; Van Demark, R; Seymour, R; Hsu, JR; and PRIMUM Group*. Opioid Misuse, Abuse, and Diversion Risk and Patient Satisfaction Scores Across Practice Types. Journal of Surgical Orthopaedic Advances, Spring 2020. PMID 32223858.
- McKnight, R., Lee, S., Gaston, G. Biomechanical Properties of Nitinol Staples: Effects of Troughing, Effective Leg Length, and Two-Staple Constructs. Journal of Hand Surgery, Oct 2018. PMID 30344022
- Harmer, L., Phelps, K., McKnight, R., Crickard, C., Andrews, E., Sample, K., Hamid, N., Hsu, J. 2017. Surgical Approaches to the Proximal Humerus: A Quantitative Comparison of the Deltopectoral Approach and the Anterolateral Acromial Approach. JAAOS Global Research and Reviews, June 2018. PMID: 30211395
- McKnight, R., Franko, O. HIPAA Compliance with Mobile Devices Among ACGME Programs. J Med Syst 2016. doi:10.1007/s10916-016-0489-2