Absolutely top notch. I had an appointment to be scheduled for knee replacement. Dr. Springer is very polite and caring. He gave me extra time due to an illness in my other leg. He didn’t have to help since I had come for my other knee, but he did and I know now, I picked the best, absolutely.- Van
- Hip & Knee
- Hip & Knee
- Lynchburg College -- Bachelor of Science, Biology (Cum Laude)
- Marshall University, School of Medicine -- Doctor of Medicine
- Mayo Clinic, Department of Orthopedic Surgery -- Residency
- Harvard School of Medicine, Brigham & Women’s Hospital -- Adult Reconstruction of the Hip and Knee Fellowship
- Fellowship Director -- OrthoCarolina Hip & Knee Center, 2011 - present
- Medical Director & Co-Founder - Operation Walk Carolinas
- Professor - Department of Orthopedic Surgery - Atrium Musculoskeletal Institute
- Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
- Co-Founder and Medical Director, Operation Walk Carolinas - www.opwalkcarolinas.org
- Chair: American Joint Replacement Registry - www.aaos.org
- 2nd Vice-President American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS) - www.aahks.org
- Leadership Board: Arthritis Foundation National Advocacy Committee
- Past President Musculoskeletal Infection Society (MSIS), Aug 2015-2016 - www.msis-na.org
- Board of Directors: International Congress on Joint Replacement
- Program Chair: The Knee Society Closed Meeting, 2019
- Program Chair: Annual Meeting of American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS) Nov 2013
- Program Committee: American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, November 2011 to 2019
- Education Committee American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS), 2012 - 2019
- Course Co-Chair ICJR Winter Meeting - www.icjr.net
- Course Co-Chairmen: OrthoLive Meeting, San Diego, CA
- 2012 ICJR Course Chairman: ICJR and Orthopaedics Today, San Diego, CA
- Award Committee Chair: American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons 2010 to present
- Abstract Review Committee: American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons 2010-2014
- Leadership Board: Arthritis Foundation North Carolina, 2010 to 2018
- Associate Editor: Arthroplasty Today
- Journal of Arthroplasty
- Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
- Journal American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Journal of Knee Surgery
- Visiting Professor, Columbia NY Presbyterian Medical Center
- Visiting Professor, University of Missouri Dept of Orthopedic Surgery
- Visiting Professor: University of Hong Kong
- Visiting Guest Lecturer, Michigan Orthopaedic Society Annual Meeting
- Visiting Professor Grand Rounds, Brown University Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Visiting Professor Grand Rounds, University of Florida Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Visiting Professor Grand Rounds, University of Virginia Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Heritage Lecture Visiting Professor, Cleveland Clinic November 2012
- Visiting Professor Grand Rounds, Georgetown University Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery
- James F. Wenz Visiting Professor, John Hopkins School of Medicine
- International Congress of Joint Reconstruction
- Arthritis Foundation
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- The Hip Society
- The Knee Society
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honors Medical Society
- North Carolina Medical Society
- North Carolina Orthopaedic Association
- Southern Orthopaedic Association
- PODCAST: Host Dr. Michael Blankstein sits down with Dr. Bryan Springer, current Chair of the American Joint Registry, to look at the existing data on Peri-Prosthetic Hip Fractures as well as prevention strategies.
- PODCAST: Bryan Springer: Providing Mobility via Free Joint Replacements
- American Joint Replacement Registry Releases New Resource to Help Patients Better Understand Physician Recommendations
- Named one of 65 Total Knee Replacement Surgeons to Know | 2020
- Named a 2019 Top Doctor by Charlotte Magazine
- Named a 2018 Top Doctor by Charlotte Magazine
- Named as one of the Top 22 North American Knee Surgeons
- Generation Next: Leader in Total Joint Replacement [Feature]
- Member: The Hip Society (2014) - www.hipsoc.org
- Member: The Knee Society (2012) - www.kneesociety.org
- 2014 Emerging Leader American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS) February 2014
- 2009: Co-Author: Chitranjan Ranawat Award Knee Society 2010
- 2009: Co-Author: John Insall Award Knee Society 2010
- 2008: John Insall Knee Society Travelling Fellowship
- 2008: AAHKS James Rand Young Investigators Award
- Leonard Marmor Surgical Arthritis Foundation Award, June 2004
- H.A. Peterson Scholarly Writing Award, Mayo Clinic June 2004
- Emerging Leadership Program, American Orthopaedic Association
- 2004 Resident/Fellow Travel Grand Award, Mid America Orthopaedic Association
- AOA-OREF Resident Leadership Forum, 116th Annual Meeting of American Orthopaedic Association, Charleston, SC June 2003
- Edward Henderson Award for Excellence in Medical Research Writing, Mid America Orthopaedic Association, April 2003
- Instructor, Smith and Nephew Surgical Exposures in Trauma. Memphis, TN. November, 2003
- Vestermark GL, Rowe T, Martin JR, Odum S, Springer BD, Fehring TK. In the Era of tranexamic acid, are type and screens for primary total joint arthroplasty obsolete? The Journal of Arthroplasty. Published online 2020.
- Siddiqi A, Chen AF, Schwarzkopf R, Springer BD, Krebs VE, Piuzzi NS. Evaluating the fellowship experience during COVID-19: adult joint reconstruction. The Journal of arthroplasty. 2020;35(8):1959-1961.
- Schwarz EM, McLaren AC, Sculco TP, et al. Adjuvant antibiotic‐loaded bone cement: concerns with current use and research to make it work. Journal of Orthopaedic Research®. Published online 2020.
- Saeed K, Sendi P, Arnold WV, et al. Bacterial toxins in musculoskeletal infections. Journal of Orthopaedic Research®. Published online 2020.
- Rice OM, Springer BD, Karunakar MA. Acute distal femoral replacement for fractures about the knee in the elderly. Orthopedic Clinics. 2020;51(1):27-36.
- Parvizi J, Gehrke T, Krueger C, et al. Resuming elective orthopedic surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic: guidelines developed by the International Consensus Group (ICM). The Journal of bone and joint surgery American volume. 2020;102(14):1205.
- Owens J, Otero JE, Noiseux NO, Springer BD, Martin JR. Risk Factors for Post-Operative Blood Transfusion Following Total Knee Arthroplasty. The Iowa Orthopaedic Journal. 2020;40(1):69.
- O’Connor CM, Anoushiravani AA, DiCaprio MR, Healy WL, Iorio R. Economic recovery after the COVID-19 pandemic: resuming elective orthopedic surgery and total joint arthroplasty. The Journal of Arthroplasty. Published online 2020.
- Moody PW, Fehring TK, Springer BD. Periarticular needle-based therapies can cause periprosthetic knee infections. Arthroplasty Today. Published online 2020.
- Martin JR, Odum SM, Springer BD, Griffin WL. Initial metal ion levels predict risk of elevation in metal on metal total hip arthroplasty. HIP International. 2020;30(5):592-597.
- Kildow BJ, Patel SP, Otero JE, et al. RESULTS OF IRRIGATION AND DEBRIDEMENT FOR PJI WITH THE USE OF INTRAOSSEOUS ANTIBIOTICS. In: Vol 102. The British Editorial Society of Bone & Joint Surgery; 2020:3-3.
- Kildow BJ, Della-Valle CJ, Springer BD. Single vs 2-Stage Revision for the Treatment of Periprosthetic Joint Infection. The Journal of arthroplasty. 2020;35(3):S24-S30.
- Jackson III JB, Martin JR, Christal A, Masonis JL, Springer BD, Mason JB. The Direct Anterior Approach Total Hip Arthroplasty Reliably Achieves “Safe Zones” for Combined Anteversion. Arthroplasty today. 2020;6(4):651-654.
- Illgen RL, Springer BD, Bozic KJ, et al. IS AMERICAN JOINT REPLACEMENT REGISTRY (AJRR) DATA REPRESENTATIVE OF NATIONAL DATA? A COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS. In: Vol 102. The British Editorial Society of Bone & Joint Surgery; 2020:68-68.
- Huddleston III JI, De A, Jaffri H, Barrington JW, Duwelius PJ, Springer BD. CEMENTLESS FIXATION, TOTAL HIP ARTHROPLASTY, AND INCREASED AGE ARE RISK FACTORS FOR REVISION AFTER ARTHROPLASTY FOR FEMORAL NECK FRACTURE: RESULTS FROM THE AMERICAN JOINT REPLACEMENT REGISTRY. In: Vol 102. The British Editorial Society of Bone & Joint Surgery; 2020:52-52.
- Heckmann N, Weitzman DS, Jaffri H, Berry DJ, Springer BD, Lieberman J. Trends in the use of dual mobility bearings in hip arthroplasty: an analysis of the American Joint Replacement Registry. The Bone & Joint Journal. 2020;102(7 Supple B):27-32.
- Hartzler MA, Li K, Geary MB, Odum SM, Springer BD. Complications in the treatment of prosthetic joint infection: when do they occur? The Bone & Joint Journal. 2020;102(6 Supple A):145-150.
- Hamilton WG, Loper NR, Chen AF, Abdel MP, Springer BD. ADULT RECONSTRUCTION EDUCATION DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC. In: Vol 102. The British Editorial Society of Bone & Joint Surgery; 2020:33-33.
- Griffin WL, Li K, Cuadra M, Otero J, Springer B. COMPLICATIONS IN THE TREATMENT OF PERIPROSTHETIC JOINT INFECTION AFTER TOTAL HIP ARTHROPLASTY: WHEN DO THEY OCCUR? In: Vol 102. The British Editorial Society of Bone & Joint Surgery; 2020:43-43.
- Goodman SM, Mehta BY, Mandl LA, et al. Validation of the Hip Disability and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score and Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score Pain and Function Subscales for Use in Total Hip Replacement and Total Knee Replacement Clinical Trials. The Journal of arthroplasty. 2020;35(5):1200-1207.
- Goodman SM, Mehta BY, Kahlenberg CA, et al. Response to JOA-D-20-01261" Quantifying Patient Satisfaction with Treatment and the Study by Goodman and Colleagues" by Daniel Riddle. The Journal of Arthroplasty. Published online 2020.
- Goodman SM, Mehta B, Kahlenberg C, et al. Assessment of a Satisfaction measure for use after primary total joint replacement. The Journal of arthroplasty. Published online 2020.
- Gold PA, Garbarino L, Sodhi N, Barrack R, Springer BD, Mont MA. The Case for Cementless Total Knee Arthroplasty. Surgical Technology International. 2020;36.
- Gililland JM, Carlson VR, Fehring K, Springer BD, Griffin WL, Anderson LA. Balanced, Stemmed, and Augmented Articulating Total Knee Spacer Technique. Arthroplasty Today. Published online 2020.
- Geary MB, Macknet D, Ransone M, Odum S, Springer BD. Why do Revision Total Knee Arthroplasties Fail? A Single-Center Review of 1,632 Revision Total Knees Comparing Historic and Modern Cohorts. The Journal of Arthroplasty. Published online 2020.
- Buck JS, Springer B. Achieving Stability in Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty. Instructional course lectures. 2020;69:43-52.
- Barry JJ, Geary MB, Riesgo AM, Odum SM, Fehring TK, Springer BD. Irrigation and Debridement with Chronic Antibiotic Suppression Is as Effective as 2-Stage Exchange in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty with Extensive Instrumentation. JBJS. Published online 2020:10-2106.
- Alipit V, Kirk A, Scholl D, Schmidig G, Springer BD, Lee G-C. Micromotion Analysis of Various Tibial Constructs in Moderate Tibial Defects in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty. The Journal of Arthroplasty. Published online 2020.
- Alamanda VK, Wally MK, Seymour RB, Springer BD, Hsu JR, Prescription Reporting With Immediate Medication Utilization Mapping Group. Prevalence of opioid and benzodiazepine prescriptions for osteoarthritis. Arthritis care & research. 2020;72(8):1081-1086.
- Springer, BD and Curtin, B. Clinical Casebook. Complex Primary and Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty. Springer Publishing 2015
- Springer, BD, McLaren, A. Hsu, W. Let’s Discuss.The Monograph Series.Surgical Site Infections. Publisher: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2015
- Springer, BD and Parvizi, J. Periprosthetic Infection of the Hip and Knee. Springer Publishing. 2013
Book Chapters: Published
- Ting, N. Springer, MD. Cemented TKA: The Gold Standard The Knee. Insall Scott Kelly 2017
- Carter, J. Springer, BD. THA and the Deformed Femur. Complex Total Hip Arthroplasty. Advanced Hip Reconstruction. Hip 2. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2017
- Wooten, C. Springer, BD. Extensor Mechanism Reconstruction in TKA. Clinical Casebook. Complex Primary and Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty. Springer Publishing 2015
- Drew, J, Springer, BD. Management of the Infected TKA. The Monograph Series.American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2015
- Stryker, L. Springer, BD. Jumbo cups for Acetabular revision. The Hip. Data Trace publishing. 2013
- Salava, J. Springer, BD. Orthopaedic Infections. Orthopaedic Knowledge Update 11.American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Rosemont, IL
- Springer, BD. Scuderi, G. Evaluation and Management of the Infected Total Knee Arthroplasty.Instructional Course Lecture 62.American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Rosemont, IL.
- Vegari, D. Springer, BD. Irrigation and Debridement for treatment of infected total joint arthroplasty.Periprosthetic Joint Infections. Editors: Bryan D. Springer and Javad Parvizi. Publisher: Springer 2013
- Springer, BD. Ruptures of the Patella Tendon. Techniques in Revision Hip and Knee Arthroplasty, edited by Dr. Giles R. Scuderi with Drs. AJ Tria, Michael Kang, and William Long Elsevier 2012
- Complex Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty. In: Adult Reconstruction. The Essentials. Editor: Javad Parvizi and Brian Klatt Slack Incorporated. 2013
- Lanting, B. Springer, BD. Use of cemented stems in revision TKA. Total knee revision: Surgical techniques. Editor: Roberto Rossi, MD. Edizioni Minerva Medica. 2013
- Springer B. Posterior Approaches to the Hip. Surgery of the Hip. Editors: Daniel J. Berry and Jay R. Lieberman. Elsevier. 2013
- Springer B, Griffin W. Femoral Revision: Uncemented Extensively Porous Coated Implants. Surgery of the Hip. Editors: Daniel J. Berry and Jay R. Lieberman. Elsevier 2013
- Springer, BD. Revision for Infection: Irrigation and Debridement. Knee Reconstruction, Replacement, and Revision. Editors: Dr. Javad Parvizi Data Trace Publishing Company 2012
- Springer, BD, Kim R, Dennis DA.Management of Infection in Total Hip Arthroplasty.Fundamentals of Revision Hip Arthroplasty: Diagnosis, Evaluation and Treatment Editors: David Jacofsky, MD, Anthony Hedley, MD Publisher: Slack Incorporated 2012
- Springer, BD, Kim R, Dennis DA.Evaluation of the Painful Total Knee. Arthroplasty. Fundamentals of Revision Hip Arthroplasty: Diagnosis, Evaluation and Treatment. Editors: David Jacofsky, MD, Anthony Hedley, MD Publisher: Slack Incorporated 2012
- Springer, BD and Thornhill, TS.Balancing the Flexion and Extension Gaps in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty. In: Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty. Editor: Daniel J. Berry, Robert Trousdale, Douglass Dennis, Wayne Paprosky. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins. 2012
- Della Valle, C. Rosenberg, AG. Sah, Alexander. Springer, BD.Management of Extensor Mechanism Rupture.Advanced Reconstruction: Knee. Editors: Jay Lieberman, Daniel Berry and Fredrick Azar. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2011
- Springer B, Mason B. Cemented TKA: The Gold Standard.Fifth Edition of Insall& Scott “Surgery of the Knee”. Editors: Elsevier. 2011
- Springer, BD. Megaprosthesis for Non-neoplastic conditions of the Knee. Master Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: Oncology and Complex Reconstruction. Editors: Dr. Franklin Sim, Dr. Peter Choong, Kristy Weber. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins 2011
- Kim R, Springer B, Dennis D. Knee Reconstruction and Replacement.Orthopaedic Knowledge Update 10. Editor: James Flynn. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2011
- Springer BD. Total Knee Arthroplasty, Treatment of Complications, Osteolysis. Interactive Educational Program (IEP) for Total Joint Arthroplasty.2010
- Springer B. Failed Total Hip Arthroplasty – Epidemiology (reasons). Online book chapter. Interactive Educational Program (IEP) for Total Joint. 2010 Cemented Stem Fixation in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty In: Operative Techniques in Total Knee Arthroplasty. Editors: Arlen D. Hanssen and W. Norman Scott, Saunders Elsevier.2009
- Hinged Total Knee Arthroplasty In: Operative Techniques in Total Knee Arthroplasty. Editors: Arlen D. Hanssen and W. Norman Scott, Saunders Elsevier. 2009
- Adjunctive Fixation in TKA Revision: Stem, Sleeves and PMMA In: Arthritis and Arthroplasty: Editors: Thomas Brown and KhaledSaleh, Saunders Elsevier. 2009
- Physical Examination of the Hip. In: Orthopaedic Essentials Series: Adult Reconstruction. Editors: Daniel J. Berry and Scott P. Steinmann Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. 2007
- Radiographic Evaluation of the Hip.In: Orthopaedic Essentials Series: Adult Reconstruction. Editors: Daniel J. Berry and Scott P. Steinmann , Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2007