Thomas K. Fehring, MD
- Wake Forest University -- Bachelor of Science
- University of Texas Medical Branch -- Doctor of Medicine
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center -- Internship
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center -- Residency
- New England Baptist Hospital -- Fellowship, Adult Reconstructive Surgery
- President of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons in 2013 and President of the Knee Society in 2014
- Co-Director of the OrthoCarolina Charitable Foundation that supports educational initiatives locally and internationally
- Invited speaker to the Musculoskeletal Infection Society meeting in Charlotte, July 2016
- Chairman of the combined Knee Society and American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeon regional meeting being held in Charlotte, May 20, 2016
- Director, Adult Reconstructive Fellowship OrthoCarolina
- Director Transitional Care Unit - Charlotte-Orthopaedic Hospital
- Membership Committee Hip Society
- Membership Committee American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Board of Directors, Knee Society
- Board of Directors, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Board of Directors, Heineman Medical Research
- Founder, Doc Martin Sports Medicine Enhancement Foundation - Wake Forest University
- Director, OrthoCarolina Charitable Foundation
- Specializes in surgery for arthritis of the hip and knee
- Specializes in primary total knee replacement
- Specializes in primary total hip replacement
- Specializes in revision total knee replacement
- Specializes in revision total hip replacement
- Specializes in arthroscopic knee surgery
- Board Certified Surgeon
- The Hillman Visiting Professor at Vanderbilt University Orthopaedic Department, May 2016
- The John Insall Visiting Professor Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, New York, April 2016
- Presentations at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons’ Annual Meeting. Presentation titles include: “The Most Important Things that I do to avoid Infection”, “Custom Triflange is Best for Revisions with Massive Bone Loss”, “Prevention and Management of Instability in TKA”, “Failed MoM: Current Diagnostic Algorithm and Guidelines”, “Leadership 2.0:”, “Goal Setting”, “Fighting Inertia”, “Maintaining Balance while Leading” as well as Moderator for the case presentation course entitled “Management of Infected Total Joint Arthroplasty in 2016 – Where do we stand now?”
- Member of the Hip Society -- Dr. Fehring is the only member from the Charlotte area. There are only 100 members worldwide
- Member of the Knee Society -- Currently the Vice-President, there are only 100 members worldwide. Only 40 surgeons are members of both organizations
- Founding member of the International Congress of Joint Reconstruction
- Founding member of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member of the Mecklenburg Medical Society
- Winner of a major grant from the Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation to study infection in total joint replacement
- Named Physician of the year at Charlotte Orthopaedic Hospital in 2010 and in 2011 named Physician of the Year by OrthoCarolina
- Business NC Magazine’s Top Doctors 2015
- Received a 2015 Top Achievement by Charlotte Magazine
- Named a 2014 Top Doctor - Charlotte Business Journal
- Named a 2013 Top Doctor by Charlotte Magazine
- Named to the list of 'Best Doctors of 2013' by Business NC Magazine
- Named by US News & World Report as a Top Doctor (story)
- Top 26 Knee Surgeons in the US, 2012 (story)
- Named as one of 'Charlotte's Best Doctors 2012' -- Charlotte Business Journal
- Named to the list of 'Best Doctors of 2011' by Business NC Magazine
- 2010 Physician of Year -- Presbyterian Orthopaedic Hospital
- John Insall Award for outstanding paper, “Control-Matched Evaluation of Patellar Crepitus After Total Knee Arthroplasty -Presented by The Knee Society, 2010
- Chitranjan Ranawat award for outstanding paper, “Fate of Two-Stage Reimplantation After Failed Irrigation and debridement for Periprosthetic Knee Infection - Presented by The Knee Society, 2010
- James A. Rand, MD Young Investigators Award for most outstanding paper in the area of arthroplasty research, “Success of Modern Cementless Femoral Components in Young Patients: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Total Hip Arthroplasty and Hip Resurfacing. Do the Results Justify Hip Resurfacing?”(senior author) - Presented by the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, 2008
- Mark Coventry Award for outstanding paper, “Polyethylene Sterilization and Wear-Related Failures with PFC Total Knees” - Presented by The Knee Society, 2006
- Mark Coventry Award for outstanding paper, “Factors Influencing Wear and Osteolysis in PFC Modular Total Knees” - Presented by The Knee Society, 2003
- Chitranjan Ranawat Award for outstanding paper, “A Comparison of Articulating vs. Static Spacers in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty for Sepsis” - Presented by The Knee Society, 2000
- Winner of the 1975 NCAA Post Graduate Scholarship for Excellence in Athletics and Academics
- Atlantic Coast Conference Academic All Conference, 1974
- United States Patent, US2007080796, “Mobile/Fixed Prosthetic Knee Systems”, Fehring et al.. Date of patent: September 10, 2007
- United States Patent, US 6,773,520 B1, “Enhanced Biocompatible Implants and Alloys, Fehring, et al. Date of patent: August 10, 2004
- United States Patent, US 6,539,607 B1, “Enhanced Biocompatible Implants and Alloys”, Fehring, et al. Date of patient: April 1, 2003
- United States Patent, US 6,187,045B1, “Enhanced Biocompatible Implants and Alloys”, Fehring et al. Date of patent: February 13, 2001
- Author of 106 peer-reviewed publications, more than any other joint replacement surgeon in North or South Carolina
- Study highlights failure rate of irrigation debridement for periprosthetic infection
- Bisphosphonate Fractures as a Cause of Painful Total Hip Arthroplasty
- Joint Replacement Access in 2016: A Supply Side Crisis. Journal of Arthroplasty, December 2010: 1175-81. (Epub 2010 Sep 25)
- Early Failure of Articular Surface Replacement XL Total Hip Arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2011 May 6.
- Mortality Following Revision Joint Arthroplasty: Is Age a Factor? Orthopedics 33(10) , October, 2010; 715.
- Impact of the Economic Downturn on Adult Reconstruction Surgery: A Survey of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. Journal of Arthroplasty 25(7), October 2010; 1005-14.
- Control-matched Evaluation of Painful Patellar Crepitus after Total Knee Arthroplasty. The John Insall Award. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2010, August 13. (Epub ahead of print)
- Lower Extremity Joint Kinematics during Stair Climbing in Knee Osteoarthritis. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010, Aug 2 (Epub ahead of print)
- Fate of Two-stage Reimplantation after Failed Irrigation and Debridement for Periprosthetic Knee Infection. The Chitranjan Ranawat Award. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2010, June 26. (Epub ahead of print)
- Reduced Articular Surface of One-piece Cups: A Cause of Runaway Wear and Early Failure. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 468 (9), September 2010, 2328-32.
- Early Failures in Unicondylar Arthroplasty, Orthopedics 33 (1), Jan. 2010, 11.
- Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty: Surgical Techniques, J Bone Joint Surg 91-A (Suppl 5), Aug. 2009, 69-71.
- Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty: The Preoperative Evaluation, J Bone Joint Surg 91-A, (Suppl 5), Aug 2009, 64-68.
- Component Implantation, J Bone Joint Surg 91-A, (Suppl 5), 91-A, Aug. 2009, 13-14.
- Stem Fixation in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty, Techniques in Knee Surgery, Vol 8, (3), September, 2009, 161-165.
- An Outstanding Scientific Knee Paper from the Specialty Societies, J Bone Joint Surg 91-A, (Suppl 5): 2009, 62-63
- The Fate of Acute Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Periprosthetic Knee Infections Treated by Open Debridement and Retention of Components, Journal of Arthroplasty 24, (6), Suppl 1, September 2009, 101-104.
- Microbiological, Clinical and Surgical Features of Fungal Prosthetic Joint Infections: a Multi-institutional Experience”, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 91-A, Suppl 6, 2009, 142-149.
- Web Commentary on Mobile and Fixed-Bearing (All-Polyethylene Tibial Component) Total Knee Arthroplasty Designs: A Prospective Randomized Trial, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, www.jbjs.org, September 2009.
- Cementless Femoral Components in Young Patients: Review and Meta-Analysis of Total Hip Arthroplasty and Hip Resurfacing. Winner of Rand Award, Journal of Arthroplasty, Vol 24, (6), Suppl 1, September 2009, 2-8.
- Why Do Revision Total Hip Arthroplasties Fail? Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 467, January 2009, 166-173.
- Clinical Team: Myra Courtney, CMA & Nikki Smith, RMA
- Test/Surgery Scheduler: Brad Joyce
- Medical Administrative Assistant: Jean Dehner
- Hip & Knee
- Hip & Knee