Fit Tip Friday - Mountain Climbers
Mountain climbers are a plyometric exercise that work your core muscles as well as upper and lower body muscles for overall strength. These are a powerful move because they train multiple muscle groups in addition to your cardiovascular system, plus challenge your coordination, proprioception and balance. Here’s how you can do them at home or in the gym:
- Start in a plank position, keeping your arms straight with hands underneath shoulders.
- Bring your right knee towards your chest.
- As your extend your right leg back, place foot on floor and bring your left knee towards your chest.
- Continue to switch back and forth; moving from hips (not low back).
- Repeat for 30-60 seconds before taking a break. Try 3 sets to begin with, then add sets.
- Can be done slow pausing in a plank or continuous explosive movement.
- For even more difficulty, add a push-up between reps.
This week’s fit tip is brought to you by Flywheel Charlotte, a cycling and barre studio and partner of OrthoCarolina.