Small kids, big injuries
Our kids love sports and we love watching them. We know participation in athletic activities promotes lifelong exercise habits and helps our children’s physical and mental health. As they get older, some children may excel in one particular sport, participating in only that sport year round, even at young ages. There has been a recent trend in children experiencing injuries typically seen by adults and older athletes, in particular ACL tears. Overuse injuries can happen in kids just like they can in the older population. When young athletes stress muscles without allowing for recovery time, they are more at risk for significant injuries like fractures and ligament tears.
Read more on what Dr. Christian Clark with OrthoCarolina Pediatrics told the Charlotte Observer about overuse injury risks in children.
Leave a Comment
In Response To
- With Your Help, We’re Improving Your Outcomes After Surgery
- Dr. Jason Norcross on First Talk Business Brief
- Evidence-based guidelines for perioperative management of antirheumatic medication for patients with rheumatic diseases who undergo total joint replacement
- Ten Facts to Know About Scoliosis
- Conservative Care of Low Back Pain