- Presbyterian College -- Bachelor of Science
- United States Sports Academy -- Masters of Science in Sports Medicine
- Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Wake Forest University -- Physician Assistant Certification
- Team Care & Orthopedic Provider for Joe Gibbs Racing
- Team Care & Orthopedic Provider for Hendrick Motorsports
- Team Care & Orthopedic Provider for Stewart Haas Racing
Bill Heisel has worked under the supervision of Donald D’Alessandro, MD in the Sports Medicine Center of OrthoCarolina (formerly Miller Orthopaedic Clinic) since 1991, providing care for professional, collegiate and recreational athletes with exceptional and unparalleled experience. His dual qualifications as a Certified Physician Assistant and Certified Athletic Trainer are invaluable in his assessment and treatment of patients in the sports medicine knee and shoulder setting. Within the physician-physician assistant relationship, Mr. Heisel exercises autonomy in medical decision-making, conducting physical exams, diagnosing and treating illness and injury, ordering and interpreting tests, assisting in surgery and counseling on preventative health care.
Originally from Atlanta Georgia, Bill is a graduate of Presbyterian College, United States Sports Academy and the Physician Assistant Program of Wake Forest University. He was nationally certified in 1992, is recertified every six years, and is licensed by the state. Not only does he continue to update his training with continuing education courses across the country, since 2001 Bill has been a clinical instructor at the national level at the Orthopaedic Learning Center in Chicago, has been a guest speaker for the NC Coaches Association, a speaker for NASCAR at their annual Track Safety Summit as well presents at regional athletic training and physical therapy symposiums. Bill also serves as a mentor for physician assistant students in their clinical rotations from various institutions throughout the Southeast.
Bill increases patient access to Dr. D’Alessandro’s practice at OrthoCarolina’s Randolph Road location, seeing patients independently and with Dr. D’Alessandro, and also provides orthopaedic team coverage as a Sports Medicine Consultant for NASCAR, Joe Gibbs Racing, Hendrick Motorsports and Stewart Haas Racing,. He assists in coverage for Davidson College and Charlotte Country Day School and volunteers his time covering athletic events at several public high schools in Mecklenburg County, NC.
Bill is a boating, fishing and NASCAR enthusiast, enjoys mountain biking and landscaping. He and his wife Domineec and their daughter live in Huntersville, North Carolina.
- Specializes in Sports Medicine and Athletic Training
- Coordinator of Motorsports Outreach for OrthoCarolina
- Specializes in Arthroscopic & Reconstructive Knee Surgery
- Specializes in Shoulder & Elbow Surgery
- Physician Assistant Certified by the National Commission on the Certification of Physician Assistants
- Fellow member of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA)
- Fellow member of the North Carolina Association of Physician Assistants (NCAPA)
Shoulder & Elbow
The shoulder represents one of the most complex joints of the body. As with anything complex, there are a host of things that can go wrong with it. It is vulnerable to both acute traumatic injuries as well as wear-and-tear conditions brought on by heavy work or repetitive activities. It also can be afflicted by systemic conditions such as arthritis or osteonecrosis. The physicians of OrthoCarolina offer more experience than any other physicians in the Southeast in the evaluation and treatment of the entire spectrum of shoulder conditions. ... Learn More
OrthoCarolina provides exceptional care for problems of the knee -- from “weekend warrior” athletic injuries to pediatric conditions to full-scale arthritis. ... Learn More